80%
Too dark
No votes

Total votes: 10

Cat1981England

Map brightness

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 11. Dec 2016, 22:30

A quick question for y'all.

While we can use Torlan as a standard candle to work out if the frames per second are high enough (and therefore get on the roster), it's impossible to know if maps are too bright, too dark or just right as everyone has a different monitor, video card, drivers etc Some of you have commented that the CEONSS rebuilds of Gunshop and Masterbath were too dark, while Aggressive Alleys has always been regarded as too dark.

So my question is, are the 4 newly edited/rebuilt maps too bright, dark or just right for you?

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C, ONS-Gunshop-C-SP4, ONS-MasterBath-C-SP1 and ONS-Tyrant-C

If you want to comment on the maps individually, please post below :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Miauz55555

Re: Map brightness

Postby Miauz55555 » Mon 12. Dec 2016, 21:11

Cat1981England wrote:[...]So my question is, are the 4 newly edited/rebuilt maps too bright, dark or just right for you?
ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C, ONS-Gunshop-C-SP4, ONS-MasterBath-C-SP1 and ONS-Tyrant-C [...]

It's not the Brightness tbh, but more the LightHue and LightSaturation.. so the light colour. White reflecting light LightSaturation (255) tent to look very unnatural.

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C:
The wall textures looks like they are set to unlid. It's still a night map and should be lighted like one, not like a sunny beach map (sorry). The Alleys where are no lights are very dark (black). I know normaly you don't use the zonelight when you want proper lightning, but a litle bit as a kind of global light? Maybe a dark blue like (Brihtness Hue Saturation) (5 160 130). Sure all zones should have the same zonelight because otherwise it will give some weard looking static meshes arround zoneportals.
Additionaly change the lightcolour from all outsidelights also to something arround that values.. maybe reduce the lightradius from some to avoid strange circles.
For the indoorlights maybe something warmer like (x 32 130).

That fits mostly for all the maps, but MasterBath. It's a bath it is ok to have bright white light there.

On Gunshop some of the posters blend me with there white. Maybe some yellow like (x 40 160).

Tyrant looks nice. And somehow the white light fits to the cold them. But I think a litle colour would be nice to let it look a bit more natural.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 12. Dec 2016, 21:29

So it's more about the presentation then the actually brightness for you, fair enough :thumbup:

---------

I would really appreciate as many people voting as possible please, there is no right or wrong answer. This will affect upcoming new maps and edits over the next year(s) and the more people vote the better idea all the mappers will have regarding map brightness :yippiiieh:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Postby GLoups! » Tue 13. Dec 2016, 13:38

Miauz55555 wrote:ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C:
The wall textures looks like they are set to unlid. It's still a night map and should be lighted like one, not like a sunny beach map (sorry). The Alleys where are no lights are very dark (black). I know normaly you don't use the zonelight when you want proper lightning, but a litle bit as a kind of global light? ....

Fully agrees, setting the Ambient brightness of Zone infos to 0 leads you to put lights everywhere, sure the map will be beautiful but it can bring somes serious fps drops even more with biggers lights radius because you are attracted to put highers radius and mores lights for avoid the darkest zones, for a good balance between pretty visuals and good performances no need to put high values but something like 5-15, it's a fairly common thing.
Lights types should be set to theirs defaults values (LT_Steady) for bests optimizations.
The better alternative to lights for all exteriors map are sunlights, a good example is Dria with four sunlights, a beautiful map with bests lightnings effects and sunlights if DM-CBP2-Achilles, you can even choose what they are going to illuminate by set the bSpecialLit value on both sunlights and matching static meshes, or terrain.
Sunlights can also be putting directly in the SkyZone, in this case it will giving a smooth effect of lightning, can be used for a beautiful moonshine night (see DM-ChronusGate-NIGHT-V2).
ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C:The wall textures are not set to unlit but they are not illuminated except by the residual of the big radius of lights , just try in the Top window of Unrealed : right click/actors/Radii View and select all lights, it's impressive, think that lightnings are calculate for each actors multiply by the number of lights radius that collides with them.

Anonymous[Lolz]
Description: New York

Postby Anonymous[Lolz] » Wed 14. Dec 2016, 06:58

I found that adding -nogamma to your UT2004/UnrealEd shortcut arguments should help out with getting a standard level of brightness.

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Postby Xac » Fri 16. Dec 2016, 16:58

When installed on Win7 machines I've been able to adjust brightness, gamma etc in game. However, on any Win10 machine I've played on, these have been disabled. Even editing the values manually in the ini file does not help.

When playing with Win10, most maps are very dark, but occasionally one or two are too bright.
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

widurr

Postby widurr » Thu 22. Dec 2016, 00:44

So far I played only Aggresive Alleys, so won't vote.
For me definitely too bright. Looks... weird, unnatural, sterile. Changes look and feel of the map completely.
I don't like it at all, and it was one of my favorite maps :( If there's another vote, I would vote for the old version.

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”