nosTEAM: banned?

qòóp
Description: Holy sh*t! I'm alive!

Re: nosTEAM: banned?

Post by qòóp » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 08:46

EmanReleipS wrote:
qòóp wrote:Bit late to react but I think I know why you're seeing nosTEAM so often. If you search ut2k4 in a torrent search engine the one that has the most seeders is a cracked version of a group called nosteam. If you use this version and you don't change your name it will be "nosteam".
So you're saying we are actually (potentially) blocking a ton of different people? :o

I had no idea. That's very interesting. Thanks! :)
That's exactly what I think is happening and it sounds logical. Gave me a bit of a laugh reading this thread haha sorry.

Got me worried though, I'm using that exact version right now (that's how I know). I've got the full retail version of UT'04 at home with my parents but I couldn't be bothered getting it there when I can just pluck it of the interwebz. Is the Banhammer looming over me? Do I need to go get my retail version or can I keep this one?

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Post by Wormbo » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 10:44

The ban hammer is over you. However, it not because you have that version, but because others have it as well. If they mess up, you are screwed as well. You only need to plug in the key of your own copy and you should be safe, though.

qòóp

Post by qòóp » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 11:37

Wormbo wrote:The ban hammer is over you. However, it not because you have that version, but because others have it as well. If they mess up, you are screwed as well. You only need to plug in the key of your own copy and you should be safe, though.
Thanks alot for the reply! However I dont think I understand. I thought you guys have been banning people with this version (and key) for ages now? Saw another nosTEAM yesterday. So what exactly do I have to be afraid for?

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 15:58

qòóp wrote:Bit late to react but I think I know why you're seeing nosTEAM so often. If you search ut2k4 in a torrent search engine the one that has the most seeders is a cracked version of a group called nosteam. If you use this version and you don't change your name it will be "nosteam".
Yeah, we stumbled across that discovery a couple o' months back ourselves and, after obviously verifying there wasn't anything particularly malicious going on with that torrent's contents, needless to say it made for a pretty awkward silence moment around the "CEONSS staff room/office":

- Well, that's...
- Yyyyup.
- So all this time we...?
- Sounds like it.
* runs fingers through hair*
- Man, that was just stupid! How come none of them ever even brought this up? Not one reference to a torrent...
- I know, right?
- Tell me about it...
* head scratch*
- Umm...
- Yeah, I got nothing, I'm heading out to get some coffee.
- Let's just agree to never talk about this again, shall we?
- Sounds like a plan!
* pen tapping on table*
- Hey, I could use a cup myself, wait up!
- I'm out too.
* room empties, lights turned off, door closes*

Shortest staff meeting ever. Anyways, yeah, long n' short of it is, nosTEAM has stopped being regarded as a "single, persistent, IP changing troublemaker" for awhile now.
qòóp wrote:Thanks alot for the reply! However I dont think I understand. I thought you guys have been banning people with this version (and key) for ages now? Saw another nosTEAM yesterday. So what exactly do I have to be afraid for?
People using the demo/file-shared serial aren't banned from CEONSS, although we do urge them to consider purchasing the game, and we even have a regular thread linking to digital distributors' sales events when they affect UT2004 ECE's price, helpfully started by Cat just for that. Aside from that, when administrative action is taken against individual offenders it is done in such a manner so as not to have any kind of blanket impact on all such players - i.e., we won't target the serial itself and everyone using it along with that. As for what to be afraid of? Umm, a lag hurricane? The boss running short on beer? Yeah, probably the latter.

Oh, and welcome to the msg board, qòóp.

Karma_geddon
Description: from Italy

Post by Karma_geddon » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 18:20

I'm rofl-ing so hard :rofl: :jump: :lol:
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 20:09

EmanReleipS wrote:So you're saying we are actually (potentially) blocking a ton of different people? :o

If you change your user name to "nosTEAM" and try to join the server you automatically get kicked and get this message.
noSteam5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

qòóp

Post by qòóp » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 21:19

Haha funny stuff, at least you guys aren't lacking in perseverance :D I'll get the serial code when I get home to my parents but so far so good.

Thanks for the welcome Pegasus! Nothing but kindness in small tight communities like this one. I guess ten years is plenty time to fish out the rotten apples so you end up with players who play for more than just score/frags.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Post by EmanReleipS » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 22:25

qòóp wrote:Haha funny stuff, at least you guys aren't lacking in perseverance :D I'll get the serial code when I get home to my parents but so far so good.

Thanks for the welcome Pegasus! Nothing but kindness in small tight communities like this one. I guess ten years is plenty time to fish out the rotten apples so you end up with players who play for more than just score/frags.
For the record, I played one match with qòóp yesterday and before it was over, I already invited him here because I thought he'd fit right in, so the good first impression was mutual.
(Why not make a thread here and introduce yourself? :) )

I'm afraid there are still a few people around who take this game very seriously and will get upset if they lose, to the point of insulting players or accusing people of cheating. But all in all I think it's a great community. Once I signed up at a message board of a different shooter game (a zombie game....) and was really shocked by the homophobia and sexism there.... This place is much, much nicer.
I look forward to gaming every night not only because I like the game, but also because of the amazing people. :)

Btw, Peg: Your post was hilarious. I wish I'd been there. :lol:

Karma_geddon
Description: from Italy

Post by Karma_geddon » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 23:15

My two cents: it's a virtuous circle (and a very nice one :) ). People who want to have a nice time and to be able to play without assholes around, tend to gravitate with other people that want the same thing (this DOESN'T garantee anyone that there will not be any assholes here; but it's something, at least).*

I'm pretty new to online gaming (like from-the-last-july new) but it seems to me that this is one of the rare places on the internet when people is, actually, people, and not a bunch of social recognition hunters with a mask of assholeness.

Also, a lot of people here *CARES* (in many different ways - it depends from person to person - but they do, and they contribute to the community in some significant way), and you may have already met someone of these ;)

However: welcome! :D

*this, btw, seems to have the side effects that 1) there is an odd number of female players, and 2) they feel confortable enough to declare their "coming out" as actual members of their gender.
and it's a rather nice side effect, in my opinion ;D
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Post by Zon3r » Wed 8. Jan 2014, 19:21

Cat1981England wrote:
EmanReleipS wrote:So you're saying we are actually (potentially) blocking a ton of different people? :o

If you change your user name to "nosTEAM" and try to join the server you automatically get kicked and get this message.
noSteam5.png
I'm getting this from time to time, rarely tho. all i do is join again, and no problem.