The Map Roster

Server setup, history & future
User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: The Map Roster

Post by Pegasus » Sat 17. Mar 2012, 16:59

Update plz.
Image

User avatar
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri 4. Sep 2009, 13:28
Description: Old Fart
Location: Hamburg

Re: The Map Roster

Post by laboRHEinz » Sun 18. Mar 2012, 09:22

cheers

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: The Map Roster

Post by Pegasus » Sun 18. Mar 2012, 18:52

Looks like CEONSS is now down to only 3 mino maps, all featuring equally OP flyers; looking good, gramps :thumbup:.

Edit: To wit:

ONS-Grit-SE-BadWolf-V2a
ONS-MagicIsle-V8-Solace
ONS-NMP2-PanaleshSE-BadWolf-V2tc
ONS-SlatedWorld-BigAl-SP1
ONS-StripClub_DjAy-T-Beta-4-

mino: 3 maps
wasp: 4 maps
falc: 5 maps
Image

User avatar
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri 4. Sep 2009, 13:28
Description: Old Fart
Location: Hamburg

Re: The Map Roster

Post by laboRHEinz » Sun 18. Mar 2012, 19:18

Dria-Gorz?

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: The Map Roster

Post by Pegasus » Sun 18. Mar 2012, 20:42

Dria-Gorz and ONS-MinusTankMeUp-Nightwolf both use the old minotaur version (i.e. not the )o(mnitaur). That one's overpowered too, but nowhere near as much as the omni cult's object of worship: 801hp for main cannon shell with 860UUs splash dmg radius vs. 1005hp of dmg dealt over 1900UUs, plain 2000hp armour vs. 2000hp with a 0.1x momentum multiplier and reduced Raptor/Manta plasma, Cicada rocket, flak and shock dmg & momentum effects and 5x dmg bio allergy, 45hp/sec dmg for the laser turret vs. 111hp/sec. So yeah, I think there's no point regarding 'em as problems of the same caliber.
Image

SpaceEngineer
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 3. Mar 2012, 22:26
Description: what is it?

Re: The Map Roster

Post by SpaceEngineer » Sun 9. Sep 2012, 22:07

I suggest to reduce the length of map disabling sequence. Now it is 35, so it takes forever to waiting for favourite maps. 15-20 will be good, but not more than 20.

EDIT: And I suggest return back the day versions of Minus-Tank-Me-Up (I personally dislike the night version) and Minotaur version of KAKMO ("BigAll" or ")o(" I guess). Why not? Current KAKMO is very unpopular.

Zon3r
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu 7. Apr 2011, 07:46
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Re: The Map Roster

Post by Zon3r » Mon 10. Sep 2012, 04:22

You like my new badger? this is from my favorite minus version, the randomizer
Image
Image

User avatar
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri 4. Sep 2009, 13:28
Description: Old Fart
Location: Hamburg

Re: The Map Roster

Post by laboRHEinz » Mon 10. Sep 2012, 19:10

SpaceEngineer wrote:I suggest to reduce the length of map disabling sequence. Now it is 35, so it takes forever to waiting for favourite maps. 15-20 will be good, but not more than 20.

EDIT: And I suggest return back the day versions of Minus-Tank-Me-Up (I personally dislike the night version) and Minotaur version of KAKMO ("BigAll" or ")o(" I guess). Why not? Current KAKMO is very unpopular.
Hi Spacey!
Increasing the repeat limit was my reaction to your other post regarding NV-maps! So what do you prefer, too many NV-maps in a row or having to wait a bit for your fav map? There's no simple solution to deal with both problems, if so, please tell us.

A repeat limit of 15-20 will not work (we tried that a while ago). Even with 30/35, only the most popular maps get voted (boring as hell). It's always a compromise between several aspects.

As for the )o(-version of Kakmo: The Minos do not serve a better gameplay on that one. They use to only camp the middle node from the side hills and blast away anything in the middle. In general (same goes for the TankMeUp-Version of Nevermore by the way), CEONSS' goal always was to have a balanced map roster, means, not too many spammy maps with custom vecs (some call 'em "kiddie vecs"^^), not too many NV-maps and so on. If I had completely my way i.e. not considering the players will at all, I'd have classic ONS-maps only. Providing so many maps with non-stock-vehicles like MinusTMU, Dria-Gorz, Kingdom, Slated and and and..., is already a concession ;-) There is simply no way to please all.

Regarding the daylight Minus-version, well okay. Once we had both versions but that was too much; too many complaints and leavers with that. So I had to chose between them and said to myself: "If it's gonna be tank spam then make it real spam". Thus the Nightwolf-version :-) But I wouldn't mind switching between those two maps - personally, I don't play either of 'em :p

SpaceEngineer
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat 3. Mar 2012, 22:26
Description: what is it?

Re: The Map Roster

Post by SpaceEngineer » Mon 10. Sep 2012, 19:33

laboRHEinz wrote: Increasing the repeat limit was my reaction to your other post regarding NV-maps! So what do you prefer, too many NV-maps in a row or having to wait a bit for your fav map? There's no simple solution to deal with both problems, if so, please tell us. A repeat limit of 15-20 will not work (we tried that a while ago). Even with 30/35, only the most popular maps get voted (boring as hell). It's always a compromise between several aspects.
No-no-no! I did not want this problem to be solved in that way! Increasing the repeat limit from 25 to 35 is ~10*20 min = 200 min = 3.5 hours! This mean that most players will never long last their favourite maps and go sleep. I personally do that sometimes, then I see that there are 10-15 games for playing before that map gets enabled for voting. Hell with that NV-maps, don't force us playing boring unpopular maps! They are unpopular exactly becuase they are boring!
laboRHEinz wrote: As for the )o(-version of Kakmo: The Minos do not serve a better gameplay on that one. They use to only camp the middle node from the side hills and blast away anything in the middle.
Camping just means that game goes to overtime. If one team takes more node, Mino should go with the front line and will be destroyed some time. But I usually take a flyer and go attacking near-base node, not paying attention on a Mino-camper.
Also, the problem always may be solved by editing the map (simply removing Mino).
laboRHEinz wrote: In general (same goes for the TankMeUp-Version of Nevermore by the way), CEONSS' goal always was to have a balanced map roster, means, not too many spammy maps with custom vecs (some call 'em "kiddie vecs"^^), not too many NV-maps and so on. If I had completely my way i.e. not considering the players will at all, I'd have classic ONS-maps only. Providing so many maps with non-stock-vehicles like MinusTMU, Dria-Gorz, Kingdom, Slated and and and..., is already a concession ;-) There is simply no way to please all.
No-no-no again! Personally I love CEONSS exactly because of maps with custom vehicles! Default ones looks boring for me after Dragon, Phoenix or Mino. I guess many guys agree with me!
laboRHEinz wrote: Regarding the daylight Minus-version, well okay. Once we had both versions but that was too much; too many complaints and leavers with that. So I had to chose between them and said to myself: "If it's gonna be tank spam then make it real spam". Thus the Nightwolf-version :-) But I wouldn't mind switching between those two maps - personally, I don't play either of 'em :p
So you don't play Minus maps, but why don't give us to play them? :) BTW, does day version have that Redeemer-spam tank spawning at the central node? I think it brokes the balance on the Nightwolf.

And how about Desert-Junkyard? Did you remove it because it is spammy? Personally I think that only spam and balance-broking vehicle there is again Redeemer tank. I may edit this map to remove it or replace with less powerful version (as on Kingdom, with slower moving and less powerful deemers, can't remember its name).

User avatar
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri 4. Sep 2009, 13:28
Description: Old Fart
Location: Hamburg

Re: The Map Roster

Post by laboRHEinz » Tue 11. Sep 2012, 17:58

SpaceEngineer wrote:No-no-no! I did not want this problem to be solved in that way! Increasing the repeat limit from 25 to 35 is ~10*20 min = 200 min = 3.5 hours! This mean that most players will never long last their favourite maps and go sleep. I personally do that sometimes, then I see that there are 10-15 games for playing before that map gets enabled for voting.
Alright, I've decreased the limit down to where it was again: 30. It wasn't 25, it's been 30-32 for more than a year.
SpaceEngineer wrote:Hell with that NV-maps, don't force us playing boring unpopular maps! They are unpopular exactly becuase they are boring!
Can't concur. Some beautiful maps don't get voted much despite being anything but boring, Silva for instance. I'm not the only one loving that map - but it almost never gets played. Probably because it doesn't wear the )o(-tag :P Gotta rename it maybe :p [/joke]
SpaceEngineer wrote:Camping just means that game goes to overtime. If one team takes more node, Mino should go with the front line and will be destroyed some time. But I usually take a flyer and go attacking near-base node, not paying attention on a Mino-camper.
Also, the problem always may be solved by editing the map (simply removing Mino).
The Mino makes the only major difference between those two versions IIRC. So I don't see the point in removing it - we could stick to our current version then as well.
SpaceEngineer wrote:No-no-no again! Personally I love CEONSS exactly because of maps with custom vehicles! Default ones looks boring for me after Dragon, Phoenix or Mino. I guess many guys agree with me!
Hehehe, as if Carpe wrote it down just for me, right in time:
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpost.p ... ostcount=7
Got nothing to add, could have been my words :greengrin:
SpaceEngineer wrote:So you don't play Minus maps, but why don't give us to play them? :)
Huh? One of em IS available!?! I still want to play, but if Minus is up, I don't want to anymore - they are the boring maps IMAO. Anyone else?
SpaceEngineer wrote:BTW, does day version have that Redeemer-spam tank spawning at the central node?
Nope.
SpaceEngineer wrote:And how about Desert-Junkyard? Did you remove it because it is spammy? Personally I think that only spam and balance-broking vehicle there is again Redeemer tank. I may edit this map to remove it or replace with less powerful version (as on Kingdom, with slower moving and less powerful deemers, can't remember its name).
Oh my goodness, Junkyard... No comments! Peg, your turn! (Somehow I got the feeling you're already preparing books as a reply on that topic ;-) )

However, maps are matters of taste - always! My job is to keep the roster balanced and so it is - whilst mostly disregarding my own taste BTW. We still do have plenty maps with modded vecs, other ones without, NV- & tank-maps, indoor & outdoor, airbased & ground, day & night, earth & stars, rain & sun, future & ancient, classic & new maps ... I think it's a decent mixture and I'm not planning to get out of balance. CEONSS will always provide a reasonable amount of classic maps & versions - on which people can play ONS as meant to be.