Rules or anything?

Server setup, history & future
Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Rules or anything?

Postby Zon3r » Mon 11. Nov 2013, 21:28

Last edited by Zon3r on Wed 12. Aug 2015, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Pegasus » Mon 11. Nov 2013, 21:41

Since Kentaro already set up the trend of getting us in touch with our ONS past, here you go. 3-year-old known, easily preventable issue just by placing a blocking volume next to those fences. Aside from that, 'sploiters gonna 'sploit and ppl looking for a dishonourable edge don't change.

Zon3r

Postby Zon3r » Mon 11. Nov 2013, 22:24

Last edited by Zon3r on Wed 12. Aug 2015, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Mon 11. Nov 2013, 22:53

Regardless of action against him, what about collecting these exploit problems and actually fixing them? I mean really only fix them, not change anything else in the affected maps. (Or actually, how about using versions of the map that have the exploits fixed already.)

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 12. Nov 2013, 01:15

My heart sinks every time he joins the server. Easily the most self-centred person playing on CEONSS atm.

-----------------

All you have to do is jump down the hole in the side of the building at 1 or 5 and there is a ion painter and a teleporter which takes you to the top of the centre building.

anti bola2.png
anti bola2.png (459.53 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

Once there you have a clear shot at him. If he's in a badger the single ion painter you picked up at 1/5 will do. If not there's a second one on top of the centre building which will do the job if he's in a tank. If you stand on this gray box on the bottom left of this screen shot, he can't get you.

anti bola1.png
anti bola1.png (420.94 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

Zon3r wrote:i wonder will there be any action against him now.

He's not actually breaking any server rules. So unless the boss says anything, there's not a lot we can do. The best thing to do is to simply not heal him if your in his team (lol). He'll soon get out of his tank.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Tue 12. Nov 2013, 02:01

Wormbo wrote:Regardless of action against him, what about collecting these exploit problems and actually fixing them? I mean really only fix them, not change anything else in the affected maps. (Or actually, how about using versions of the map that have the exploits fixed already.)
The prevailing mentality by which we've usually approached map updating/editing for awhile now can be summed up as "we don't waste our players' time/bandwidth", meaning that some kind of tipping point of accrued flaws we'd like to see fixed in a map would first be concluded to've been reached and at that point the map would go under the knife, so to speak. That's meant to prevent a formerly quite frequent phenomenon whereupon ppl joining a popular ONS server would be prompted to redownload a popular map with a slightly increased version number (and, thus, with expectations of noticeable improvement), but all they'd get would be some imperceptible tweak instead, all that because mappers' obsessiveness and admins' permissiveness weren't quite within reasonable levels. Meaningful changes is what justifies new versions as that's when most players get the most out of the reDL inconvenience, therefore a map undergoing tweaks would usually have a substantial changelog behind the scenes, despite that making the process a bit longer too. That's the unfortunate part of the tradeoff, a slower response rate that's not in line with the "quickfix" mindset. Already there have been several thoughts laid out about what changes a possible V8 version would include, an important one - awkwardly enough, given what Cat just posted - being basing everything in V7, but using the ONS-StarReach-)o(Edition-V2 transit methods for reaching the middle roof as that contributes to more nuanced gameplay. Anyway, obviously this isn't the place to hold an impromptu discussion about the specifics of a new StarReach edit, I'm just trying to help ppl understand why there's plenty of maps where numerous small things could've been improved (all those maps with lacking weap.lockers, for example), but there hasn't been a steady stream of such "minor edits". Also, no mappers left to lend a hand even if the process were to be partly/mostly public :/.

Cat1981England wrote:[...]He's not actually breaking any server rules. So unless the boss says anything, there's not a lot we can do.[...]
An omission easily fixed by adding "exploiting map-specific design flaws in an intended, repeated fashion" to the existing rules list.

Cat1981England wrote:[...]The best thing to do is to simply not heal him if your in his team (lol). He'll soon get out of his tank.
Take a closer look at those pics from early 2011, specifically this one. Does this look like a person quickly abandoning an abusable routine out of boredom?

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Tue 12. Nov 2013, 08:32

I know what you mean about wasting bandwidth. In fact, for Jailbreak 2004c we fixed and upgraded several maps released before, but we did so using a special upgrade script running as part of the game, not by modifying the maps themselves. A fix for this specific issue could even involve modifying affected vehicle types to check if there's geometry between the weapon and the fire point.

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Postby Xac » Wed 13. Nov 2013, 13:34

I heard that Ebola was leaving UT2004 to take up an important post in the Boy Scouts Association.

Apparently, the people at the head of the organisation realised that there is no-one better qualified to teach kids the art and craft of camping!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Joking and leg pulling aside, if someone is exploiting faults in a map that give an unfair advantage, I think that's wrong. If someone camps in a tank, it's boring play, but not cheating unless spawn killing at a node.

In Ebola's defence, if you are in a weak team, sometimes he's the only one preventing a total collapse, by frustrating the attackers. In such cases I've repaired his tank. Maybe in the future I should go with the inevitable and let the team get put out of its misery for the sake of overall game quality.
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Zon3r

Postby Zon3r » Wed 13. Nov 2013, 14:57

Last edited by Zon3r on Wed 12. Aug 2015, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Postby Xac » Wed 13. Nov 2013, 17:15

Zon3r wrote:
Xac wrote:
In Ebola's defence, if you are in a weak team, sometimes he's the only one preventing a total collapse, by frustrating the attackers.

Maybe you shouldn't defend ebola and take a look on that screenshot, you will see, that we only had one node, the one he was spawnkilling at

That's not what I was talking about. I was talking in general terms, not this specific instance.

In this instance, from the screen shot you've provided, it's hard to work out exactly what's happening. I presume Ebola is firing towards node number 3? The node is open to attack, but it's not clear if he can attack the node directly from there, or people spawning there, or whether he is just sniping at people as they come out into the open after spawning.

If he knows he cannot possibly be hit where he is and is exploiting a bug in the map, then he is in the wrong and shouldn't be doing it.
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Return to “CEONSS Public Server”