Rules or anything?

Server setup, history & future
User avatar
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri 4. Sep 2009, 13:28
Description: Old Fart
Location: Hamburg

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby laboRHEinz » Sat 16. Nov 2013, 18:15

Of course, abusing map flaws IS lame and to be punished. So:
Pegasus wrote:
Cat1981England wrote:He's not actually breaking any server rules. So unless the boss says anything, there's not a lot we can do.
An omission easily fixed by adding "exploiting map-specific design flaws in an intended, repeated fashion" to the existing rules list.
has been added to the black list.

User avatar
Karma_geddon
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 17:33
Description: from Italy

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Karma_geddon » Sun 17. Nov 2013, 17:55

I just wanted to let you know that, today, E_bola did the *exact* same thing that was stigmatized previously in this thread. I also told him to stop because now this is against the rules, but nothing changed (you may check the chat reg to see).
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Pegasus » Sun 17. Nov 2013, 18:44

If this is the match this happened in (about an hour ago as of this post), stats show an ingame admin (Ten) was present throughout the match. Did you attempt to first inform him about this? If not, next time you witness someone running afoul of the server's rules, please make sure you try that action first and give a deputy the opportunity to resolve the matter on the spot before taking to the more formal msg board option. At any rate, thank you for bringing this to our attention. No doubt Ten's input will also be helpful here.
Image

User avatar
Karma_geddon
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 17:33
Description: from Italy

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Karma_geddon » Mon 18. Nov 2013, 01:17

Yes, that was the match I was talking about.
I actually didn't notice that Ten was online. However, I asked E_bola to stop on the public chat, so I thought that was enough to attract any eventual admin attention.
However: ok, noted, and sorry. I'm really not accustomed to the protocol for this kind of thing... It goes together with the "noob pack" I come with "^^
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

FlauschDich
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun 10. Nov 2013, 00:02
Description: 10 years Onslaught

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby FlauschDich » Fri 22. Nov 2013, 23:11

Exploiting map-specific design flaws in an intended, repeated fashion


I like the new rule - however there is one bug which is regularly used, and I want to make you aware of it.

There is a neat little Bug on the BitchSlap map which is only usefull in the node-setup currently used on CEONSS: if both middle nodes are connected, it is a big bonus if the door is not closing anymore. To make this happen you need to have the manta explode in the door, after that it stays open.

The good thing is both teams can do it , so noone has a disadvantage, and I use it too - however I would be happier if this could be fixed :)

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Pegasus » Sat 23. Nov 2013, 01:36

FlauschDich wrote:[...]there is one bug which is regularly used, and I want to make you aware of it.

There is a neat little Bug on the BitchSlap map which is only usefull in the node-setup currently used on CEONSS: if both middle nodes are connected, it is a big bonus if the door is not closing anymore. To make this happen you need to have the manta explode in the door, after that it stays open.

The good thing is both teams can do it , so noone has a disadvantage, and I use it too - however I would be happier if this could be fixed :)
Yeah, that one's been known 'cross all servers where BitchSlap variants have been hosted for years now, but thanks for bringing it up publicly again so ppl can know what the deal with it here is "officially".

First off, exploiting that specific glitch has sorta become permissible everywhere due to its balanced/egalitarian nature, i.e. both sides can pull it off and both gain the exact same benefit from it, namely an unobstructed line of sight to constantly keep the enemy tank bunker node pinched via chained link shots or hitscans. That doesn't mean it's an ideal state of things and I agree it definitely should be fixed in a future improvement edit of BitchSlap, but, as I explained in my previous post here, that might take awhile to happen cause I doubt most ppl would be down with DLing a new edit of the map just for a door fix.
Anyway, point is, as far as exploiting design flaws in maps go, BitchSlap's door jams is among the few that a server's staff can overlook without compromising a sense of fair play and sportsmanship on the server. Another one in that category I can think of would be opening 2ndRaceway's garages from outside in the previous version (DW-RC1) by boosting EONS scorps to it because the area of its trigger was slightly bigger than it should be and went through the door. A big enough laundry list of tweaks was eventually gathered and it got addressed along with other stuff (the map having no antiportals, limited weap.locker arsenals, etc., etc.).
Finally, having your door glitched open in BS isn't exactly an irreversible problem, as several folks have independently figured out over the years. All it takes is to get a fresh manta placed right in front of the jammed open door, get into it (maybe jump up to peak point) and get out again. When you push it or drive it away next, the door should start closing again :). In mapping terms, all it would take for those doors to start behaving as they should is to set those movers triggers' TriggerType to TT_PawnProximity.
Image

RottenToTheCore
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri 6. Jan 2012, 12:57
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby RottenToTheCore » Sat 23. Nov 2013, 11:55

Flausch, you say it's a bug, but you use it too ? :thumbdown:

I was always very annoyed by this. And i think it's not fair, as perhaps only 1 player in one team knows about it. After that this team has a big advantage.

I did not know where it comes from so far.

User avatar
Karma_geddon
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 17:33
Description: from Italy

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Karma_geddon » Sat 23. Nov 2013, 14:09

RottenToTheCore wrote:I was always very annoyed by this. And i think it's not fair, as perhaps only 1 player in one team knows about it. After that this team has a big advantage.

I did not know where it comes from so far.


Same for me.
I'm with Rot on this one. I'm always very annoyed from this bug.
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

User avatar
Cat1981England
Administrator
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon 23. Aug 2010, 15:35

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 23. Nov 2013, 16:09

Pegasus wrote:In mapping terms, all it would take for those doors to start behaving as they should is to set those movers triggers' TriggerType to TT_PawnProximity.


ONS-BitchSlap-With-Slap!-SP3doorfix.ut2

I've tried playing a couple of rounds and so far I can't get the doors stuck. If someone else could have a go please.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

FlauschDich
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun 10. Nov 2013, 00:02
Description: 10 years Onslaught

Re: Rules or anything?

Postby FlauschDich » Sun 24. Nov 2013, 22:56

Sorry Rot - thats exactly why I think Full Disclosure of such Bugs is important. As you see here, the opinions can be different. It took me quite a while to figure out what exactly is happening, and it is happening just too often, cause you don't need to specifically use the Bug to trigger it. Since I am mostly on foot on Slap - didnt happen often to me. Whenever you attack the middle node with a Manta there is a slight chance that it happens, you can't avoid it. Only way: don't use the Manta there.

I actually see it as a tactics device, there are Maps which have triggers like this specifically to change the mapstructure, of course most UT3 maps come to mind :)

So in fact it is really a gray area Bug - and I also appreciate the Fix :)


Return to “CEONSS Public Server”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest