Voice chat

Server setup, history & future
Cheese_it!
Description: Sitting Duck

Voice chat

Post by Cheese_it! » Sat 1. Feb 2014, 12:20

The omni crowd have voice chat on their server, and I think it adds an extra dimension to the game.
Is there any particular reason we can't have that feature on CEONSS?
It's much easier to communicate via voice than by typing, especially when someone is trying to park a breadvan on your head.

-Nick-

Re: Voice chat

Post by -Nick- » Sat 1. Feb 2014, 17:00

Cheese_it! wrote:The omni crowd have voice chat on their server, and I think it adds an extra dimension to the game.
It's much easier to communicate via voice than by typing, especially when someone is trying to park a breadvan on your head.
Although i agree with your point, VOIP can be anoyying. People play music and piss others off and some peoples language is disgusting, likely to be one of the reasons it's not available for us to use. Most regulars who play are mature and have good manners so i would also like an answer from the administrator regarding VOIP.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Post by EmanReleipS » Sat 1. Feb 2014, 17:48

I suppose an alternative could be to use teamspeak among the not annoying players, if VOIP won't be allowed. I'd definitely like to try it out. It would make coordination so much easier. And my deaths would be halved, because I get typekilled so many times.... :lol:

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus » Sat 1. Feb 2014, 17:52

Cheese_it! wrote:The omni crowd have voice chat on their server, and I think it adds an extra dimension to the game.
If you're familiar enough with their setup to know they employ voice chat, you must also be aware of the daily cost that choice has carried for them for years. So that's one part of the "extra dimension" that Heinz has never been too eager to experience with CEONSS based on all the research he's done on the issue of server crashes. Additionally, there's one other crucial parameter that's different in our equation: while the UT playing crowd across the pond can be said to be about as populous as its European counterpart, if not slightly bigger, its cohesion in terms of language and culture from end to continent's end is much stronger and homogenous compared to the disparate mishmash of our 27+ different countries over here and, thus, makes the use of ingame voice communication a lot more useful. Lastly, anyone who's ever played on any euro demo ONS server over the past 5-6 years could inform you with astonishing accuracy on exactly what exclusive purposes voice chat has been used for there by the average player; hint: it's not coordination or sportsmanlike commentary. Imagine asking the server's ingame admin staff who've been voluntarily offering their services in all the ways they have to start monitoring voice chat for infractions on top of everything else (otherwise things would quickly turn into a quagmire there).
Put all that together and you can begin to see why CEONSS has preferred its players continue to talk to each other in text only instead of accepting all the baggage VC tends to bring along with it. Not that this is preventing anyone from making their own Teamspeak, Ventrillo or any other kinda dedicated voice chat channel of course.

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Post by laboRHEinz » Mon 3. Feb 2014, 21:10

Exactly, Peg.

We've had voice chat enabled several times in the beginning of CEONSS' life, it has been abused (music, flaming, burps, farts etc.) far more often than used in a meaningful way.

Also, while I truely managed to reproduce the effectiveness of IPtable's blockage of the malicious voice chat exploit, there's still this phenomenon left I couldn't reproduce "after a while, the server starts lagging and finally crashes".

Cheese_it!
Description: Sitting Duck

Post by Cheese_it! » Sun 9. Feb 2014, 12:46

Ah, I see there are many potential pitfalls, cans of worms and rats' nests...
Thanks guys.

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Post by EmanReleipS » Sun 9. Feb 2014, 12:52

Well, there is no reason you can't make your own little group on teamspeak or skype and invite a select number of people, who you know will behave well and speak enough English to allow for good communication. :)
Unfortunately then you'd end up mixed into both teams....so team-only communication is probably not possible.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Post by Wormbo » Sun 9. Feb 2014, 13:43

You can always have two channels and players switch between them when they change teams.

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Post by EmanReleipS » Sun 9. Feb 2014, 14:17

Wormbo wrote:You can always have two channels and players switch between them when they change teams.
Good idea. (I'm a teamspeak nub...haven't used it since installing it. :lol: )

*pokes the cheese*

Droopy_Bollocks
Description: Gets the job done

Post by Droopy_Bollocks » Sun 9. Feb 2014, 15:02

I've got to admit, I've used team chat on many different servers since the start of the feature in UT and it's never ended well.

It sounds like a great idea but you will always end up with arguments since there are no leaders, always people who like to go off and do their own thing and the campers, spammers and lamers.

But it would be fun shouting at Cheese & Monk! hehe
Don't bother asking - I won't answer.

I'm not ignorant, just finding being quiet stops me getting a bollocking ;-)