Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Map voting

Postby Zon3r » Sat 5. Dec 2015, 22:06

Map voting as it is now, sucks!

Cat1981England

Re: Map voting

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 5. Dec 2015, 23:57

There are pros and cons. It's still on trial and so far people seem to like it.

People who balance, don't care about their score and work for their team or are simply less skilled then the others lose out. But, it does discourage people from idling, messing about until they have a chance to vote for a map they like, gives the player score some meaning and gives us as a server something different.

I'm more interested in what practical affect it has on the maps which are voted for and how players play if their score has meaning, so we'll see how it goes for awhile yet. Sorry.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 6. Dec 2015, 09:48

Zon3r wrote:Map voting as it is now, sucks!

Well played!

Want to try again with some constructive criticism? Okay, so you think it's bad. But how can it be improved? What alternatives would you suggest?

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Sun 6. Dec 2015, 12:41

Wormbo wrote:
Zon3r wrote:Map voting as it is now, sucks!

Well played!

Want to try again with some constructive criticism? Okay, so you think it's bad. But how can it be improved? What alternatives would you suggest?

Look, a comment like this makes sure that people WILL answer to it. (lesson of the internet)
My problem with this method of voting is that it is highly unfair with players of less skill, some new player scores 20 points, how can he vote for a map he likes, can't outvote those with 200+ points, meaning their votes means nothing at all.

Cat1981England wrote:People who balance, don't care about their score.

Wrong. This voting system will change the "my team dominates and i can't switch to the losing team, so i will go to spec till there is a free place"
I mean, if i do that, i will have low score so my vote will be meaningless, i wont be able to vote for the map i like, and will be forced to play what others vote, like yesterday, two players decided that we will play spiffingrad, like it or not.
Do you see my point? anyway, it seems it will take more time for you to see that this wont work.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 6. Dec 2015, 15:58

What I find interesting: Over at the Omni forum, there has been a suggestion to turn off the scoreboard for non-admins. The idea seems to be to prevent people from doing everything they can to reach the top position on their team, even though they would actually hurt their team's chances of winning.

Steinein

Postby Steinein » Sun 6. Dec 2015, 16:44

Wormbo wrote:What I find interesting: Over at the Omni forum, there has been a suggestion to turn off the scoreboard for non-admins. The idea seems to be to prevent people from doing everything they can to reach the top position on their team, even though they would actually hurt their team's chances of winning.

That... Sounds absolutely horrible ;). Yes Onslaught is a team game type and players should always work towards the goal of winning. And yes score alone doesn't tell you how much you have contributed to your team. There are ways to get high scores without actually helping the team as much as you could, such as tank/falcon camping, going for super weapons all the time or only attack and never defend. However, player score is also a motivation to play to your fullest, be quick, don't be idle, don't mess around, etc. I'm not ashamed to say I check my score pretty regularly, it keeps me focused and if I see I'm lacking behind I will try to improve, as long as its in the interest of the team.

Back on the topic:
I'm a bit indecisive about it. Its a good experiment and time will tell if it improves the way people play or not. I'm not a big fan of people messing about and not going for the objectives (power nodes & core, both are a good way to improve your score). If score matters a little bit it should discourage people, like Cat says, to go idle and/or mess about.
If people with the 200+ scores are 'forcing' maps too much. You could for example limit the amount of votes you get to 100. That way more people will have the same amount of votes (100) and the people that have for example a score of 20 have 1/5th of the votes that high score people have, instead of 1/10th or less.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 6. Dec 2015, 16:59

Cat1981England wrote:People who balance, don't care about their score and work for their team [...] lose out.

Zon3r wrote:

Wrong. This voting system will change the "my team dominates and i can't switch to the losing team, so i will go to spec till there is a free place"
I mean, if i do that, i will have low score so my vote will be meaningless, i wont be able to vote for the map i like, and will be forced to play what others vote, like yesterday, two players decided that we will play spiffingrad, like it or not.
Do you see my point? anyway, it seems it will take more time for you to see that this wont work.

If you move the full stop then it's no longer a quote and you are then replying to a statement that you have created. Anyway, you've basically said the same thing i have and then asked me if i understand. If i am the one who is going nuts, could someone let me know please?

I agree that there are cons as i've already said, but i would like to see how it works in practise. So yes it is going to take me more time, but i am a bit thick. I would be interested to know what your criteria is for it working or not though?

Wormbo wrote:What I find interesting: Over at the Omni forum, there has been a suggestion to turn off the scoreboard for non-admins. The idea seems to be to prevent people from doing everything they can to reach the top position on their team, even though they would actually hurt their team's chances of winning.

I think it would nice to do away with individual scores and to have players win/loss rate more easy to find then the current epic stats, while also taking into account rage quits and joining the losing side. This would also keep people like you Stein happy as you have a good win/loss rate ;)
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

[P]etya
Description: someone

Postby [P]etya » Sun 6. Dec 2015, 19:25

I wasn't playing for a while, but if I caught the topic right, then I presume a score based voting system has been launched.

It wouldn't be a bad feature, but certain things have to be taken into consideration. These are:
-people who will intentionally camp at the spawning point of a relatively OP vehicle, like Falcon, to get it and then that player will get tremendously big amount of points, then it's not far
-people can go for farming points, by just spawnkilling others who spawn at nodes (kill at a node means more fragpoints)
-other ways of farming points without being productive

Why it is good:
-encourages players to give up their weird playstyles
-better map rotation (makes easier to play on maps which otherwise wouldn't be voted)
-encourages players in general, it will motivate them to play better

So all in all I think it has as many negative sides as positive sides. I think time should tell whether it is efficient or not.

(I'm planning to return to the game in a week to see what has changed so far :D)

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Mon 7. Dec 2015, 00:01

Two fallow oan thruam wat Zonyyyy set, itz indead da curse dat doughs width erect schore half an perslaps unfare influenza uber dat chase da Nex mope. Not to be arrogant, but for an eloquent and EXTREMELY ARTICULATE player like me who is capable of consistently getting high - and some maps significantly higher - scores, getting maps they want more often is easier.

Perhaps a lower and upper limit on the number of votes a player can amass might make things fairer while still giving players motivation to get a good score, like me?

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Postby GLoups! » Mon 7. Dec 2015, 00:47

Zon3r wrote:

Not sure the voting system prevent to switch to the losing team, and not sure than the majority of players hate a map so much that they leave the match.

Return to “CEONSS Public Server”