Map voting

Server setup, history & future
Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Re: Map voting

Postby Wormbo » Mon 7. Dec 2015, 08:29

Generally there's nothing wrong with a score-based voting system, as long as it is accompanied by an appropriate scoring system. So the question must be: Is the scoring system appropriate to encourage the best play style for "good" matches?

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Mon 7. Dec 2015, 20:37

Zon3r wrote: [...] My problem with this method of voting is that it is highly unfair with players of less skill, some new player scores 20 points, how can he vote for a map he likes, can't outvote those with 200+ points, meaning their votes means nothing at all. [...]

My thoughts are ambivalent at this point. First i agree with your thinkings. On the other hand the new player mostly don't know if the map fits the current player count. Or when there are a few players whitch are just trolling around .. vote together a bad fitting map .. and leave the server when it starts.
Cat1981England wrote:[...] If i am the one who is going nuts, could someone let me know please? [...]

All good. It's just like when two people talking to each other and thinking they are talking about the same but didn't, only the other way around.
Dalyup! wrote:Two fallow oan thruam wat Zonyyyy set, itz indead da curse dat doughs width erect schore half an perslaps unfare influenza uber dat chase da Nex mope. Not to be arrogant, but for an eloquent and EXTREMELY ARTICULATE player like me who is capable of consistently getting high - and some maps significantly higher - scores, getting maps they want more often is easier. [...]

Daly I read this... but the only thing I was hearing in my minde was: "meow meow meow..." :D
Wormbo wrote:Generally there's nothing wrong with a score-based voting system, as long as it is accompanied by an appropriate scoring system. So the question must be: Is the scoring system appropriate to encourage the best play style for "good" matches?

Fully agreed.
Sadly there are always ways to get a high score and have a 'bad game' at the same time. Without an good argument, and a better methode (I have no at the moment), I wouldn't chance the scoring system.

I think an upper limit like Steini and Daly mentioned, will be nice.
I made a picture (just an example): The limit is increasing the more maps you played 100 - 150 -180; you can take Votes to the next map (just 20 frome each). What do you think?
Attachments
Voting.JPG
Voting.JPG (73.26 KiB) Viewed 3429 times

]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Postby ]M[ » Thu 10. Dec 2015, 16:38

From the above discussion & playing with the points-based vote system the last while, it seems there are (inevitably) both benefits & issues - and an interesting debate concerning these, as ever... ;)

In relation to Miauz' suggestion - it would be interesting to try combining the points-based system with cumulative voting, as Heinz had running at times before...

This would give those who're not in the top few slots the facility to save up votes for their requests - and hopefully result in a broader range of maps being played!

Return to “CEONSS Public Server”