Anti-TCC screenshot

Server setup, history & future
Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Anti-TCC screenshot

Postby Zon3r » Sun 28. Aug 2016, 22:25

AntiTCC has a nice feature, (if i'm correct), and that is taking a screenshot, the way the player sees the game and sends it to the server. now, i'm pretty sure this is disabled on the server. there are players who are using cheats, not aimbots, thats too obvious, or at least not constantly, toggling, maybe. but i have seen players with panoramic view, seeing me even if i'm behind, radar i assume, tracer maybe, players who can see through the fog, wallhack or nofog, and i have seen speedhack on bridge(moving faster than with the haste relic). and i haven't heard about it, but sometimes players have more health than possible, or they have a way of negating dmg, i don't know.
now, better hacks have a feature to disconnect the player when the screenshot is about to be taken, so it requires a bit of work for admins, taking a look at the log, to see if there are players who disconnected right before the ss. disconnecting once may be coincidence, twice, unlikely
Before dismissing this whole thing, at least think about it, thank you

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Re: Anti-TCC screenshot

Postby Wormbo » Mon 29. Aug 2016, 05:09

That's not an Anti TCC feature, but a completely different mutator.

joeblow
Description: male gamer

Postby joeblow » Mon 29. Aug 2016, 22:24

Gucci screen shot program. it works from what i have seen.

Im sure wormbo could chime it.

Im feeling frisky so Ill chip in 500$ to the server US$ if we start using it on the top 10 wall hackers.

I made the same offer on the DW server for years they never took me up on it.

joeblow

Postby joeblow » Mon 29. Aug 2016, 23:27

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Tue 30. Aug 2016, 19:12

Wormbo wrote:That's not an Anti TCC feature, but a completely different mutator.

joeblow wrote:Gucci screen shot program. it works from what i have seen.

I stand corrected, but it's not changing the topic.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Tue 30. Aug 2016, 19:41

Unfortunately, McGugi's ScreenSender mutator creates quite a delay when it captures and loads the screenhot, and then sends it to the server where it ends up in a nonstandard format. Also its downscaling algorithm is a bit weak.

Years ago (six or so, I think) I started writing a similar mutator from scratch, where I tried to improve upon a few of those problems. I managed to improve the time it takes to load the screenshot (to significantly reduce the freeze time), streamlined the preprocessing (size/color depth reduction) and made the output viewable without any converter tools. (It's Windows BMP embedded in an HTML file, something like this or this. Probably best viewed in Firefox, or at least not Internet Explorer/Edge.) Also, since colors are sent in a very specific way, the first pass over the image is grayscale, and if transfer is aborted, at least part of the screenshot may be visible.

Thing is: I never finished it. There's no UI whatsoever and certain things may need INI editing, but admins can at least use console commands for most things. I remember the UTzone.de servers used it at some point, but I can't remember the outcome, or how long it was actually used. Anyway, if you're feeling lucky, here's the download they tested about 5.5 years ago. (there hasn't been any other version since then)

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 30. Aug 2016, 22:43

Joe, are any of those mods whitelisted? I'm guessing that is what the $500 is for and why they were never put on DW. If not, something like this would really hurt the server and considering at the moment $500 would only cover 2 months worth server cost, it would make more sense for me to just turn the server off if i'm being completely honest ;)

Any legal issues? I can understand checking checksums and file names, but taking a direct screenshot from somebody's monitor? Surly we would need to get their permission which would render this rather useless.

-----

I don't want this to sound rude, and i'm not singling you out, but when the same few players accuse lots of people of cheating, it makes me rather sceptical. This is especially true when the players always make the accusation when they have lost or have just had their backside handed to them by a better player. You know as well as anyone how to spot cheaters. You look for pattens, but you can also see them in those who regularly make the accusations.

The truth is (as i'm sure you know Joe from your time as an admin) that when a player thinks they are good but find themselves more often then not on the losing team, they need to find some sort of dark matter to explain that. Accusing everyone else of cheating is an easy answer, and when people say such things with out sitting in spec and carefully watching them...

When players accuse some of the best players on the server who are playing under a different name of cheating (including a crap player such as myself for using a health hack not too long ago :lol: ), i'm again rather sceptical. When someone is accused of using a fog hax or wall hax, but when you look in the editor, they would also need to have hacked the terrain, a bunch of trees and some rocks, or when the wall hack idea doesn't work because the other player is on a different level...

You're a top bloke Joe so i really hate to say this, but the idea that "naw maybe 10% id guess" (of the players are cheating) is ridiculous. Even on a brand new game where people can make a lot of money creating such hacks 10% would be pushing it. The number of bans made for cheating on CEONSS is pretty much the same as any other server relative to the number of players which suggest to me that we're getting them.

I'm sure there are players who are cheating on the server but are very good at hiding it (it took us many years to catch Corvus for example), but the idea that there's this huge problem smacks of McCarthyism.

I appreciate the offer of money to help counter the damage this could cause, the link and to Wormbo for your own version of the mod, but i don't think this is necessary or helpful. Sorry :|
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

joeblow

Postby joeblow » Tue 30. Aug 2016, 22:52

Dont know where to start really

500$ was a donation I offered. Originally it was 500$ for Antitcc and 500$ for the SS program. Which they,the other DW admins told me both "dont work".

Proving me wrong on cheaters would shut me up.

Check.

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 30. Aug 2016, 23:05

I'm deeply uncomfortable with the thought of a program that would be transferred to our players' PCs secretly and take screenshots of their stuff without their knowledge or consent. Honestly, would you guys like that if we did that to you?

If this is about reassuring you that we don't have cheaters, then please pm us that list of the 10 players you suspect of wallhacking and we will spec them (most likely we have checked them already, but first we need to know who you're talking about). There are ways of doing this without potentially breaking the law and invading people's privacy.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 30. Aug 2016, 23:13

+1

--------------

It's not about proving you wrong (or right) Joe, i don't want to be playing with cheaters any more then you, but i need to look at the practical side (whitelisted) and for my own sake (taking images from someone else's computer).

We have anti-tcc which we constantly add the names of new hack files to and then the admins clean up the rest if they get past.

---------------

I'm sorry, but i don't agree that this is an issue for anyone other then those that are looking for one.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Return to “CEONSS Public Server”