CEONSS' 10 year anniversary

News, server & forum rules
Miauz55555

Post by Miauz55555 » Sun 27. Oct 2019, 21:44

EmanReleipS wrote:
Sun 27. Oct 2019, 20:32
[...]On an entirely unrelated note, lately my settings window in the editor has been broken. Any idea how to fix it?
Broken settings window.JPG[...]
Try: Just delete all under UT2004\System\User.ini » [WindowPositions]

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Post by EmanReleipS » Mon 28. Oct 2019, 07:38

Thank you! That reminded me that I had a backup of my user.ini somewhere. I restored it and now it's all good. :thumbup:

Weird that this happens suddenly. Yesterday I also got an error when I booted up the game. There was an in-game firewall error when I clicked on "join game". :shock: Managed to fix it, but weird to get this after years of playing the game.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus » Mon 28. Oct 2019, 09:49

THIS IS NOW A CAT THREAD!
Ahem.
EmanReleipS wrote:I thought you wanted to have the micro-edited maps on the server instead of the planned classic map week, which is why I thought this would require more time.[...]
My hope was that they'd all be added together and remain on the roster until the end of the fest, as the amended schedule I proposed suggests, at which point only desired micro-edits could be allowed to stay on an exceptional basis. The different groups don't have any overlap in content (except for Crossfire, which I accidentally double dipped on), so they'd all be liable to receive a quick micro-edit in my eyes, stock and custom maps alike. Some time could be saved in performing most of the rote tasks you mention for each map, I suppose, by simply going with the T32 versions of the stock maps, since the weap/ammo/vec boosting and stray pickup culling are a common trend in 'em; that would only leave OS2[_RNH] integration and the EONS scorpions, where applicable. Ideally, all micro-edits would get a suffix like "-2019CAE" to help identify 'em in the long list and denote they're all CEONSS Anniversary Editions. All told, my aim would be for this scope expansion, from a "stock-only" to a "retread of popular stock and custom map designs ", to not have to burden you in any additional way, while also avoiding one-primary (many examples among the stock maps) or non-ONS-adhering pitfalls (e.g. stock Primeval; Edit: and Frostbite).

EmanReleipS wrote:[...]I figured you would want to get more peeps involved via the older maps, but I'm really afraid that it would be too much effort for too little gain. There are only a handful of people who reflect on this game as much as we do. Most players seem to just want some quick, casual ggs, which I understand.[...]
Eh, "involved" in this sense is probably too optimistic a bar to clear for the average player. "Having fun with older good content" is where I'd place it instead, and be happy should anything more materialize.

EmanReleipS wrote:[...]Thanks! I believe you also enjoy Tropic. It could really benefit from full weapon lockers, maybe a couple more vehicles (or at least different vehicles at the bases). What do you think about micro-editing it?[...]
Tropic has well compartmentalized node areas, makes ample use of verticality and offers numerous viable playstyles and tactical paths around to keep from getting dull. It may not do anything too imaginative with its link setup, but I would certainly call it good and I'm always happy to see it played.
From a micro-editing scope, there's really not much to do besides OS2, EONS scorps and maybe changing the strike painters to portable target painters, since the Titans' edit took care of the scarcity issues. The map's Nightfall variant also provides backdoor access to cores via a tunnel that connects to where the superweapon pickup bases are, but that would be out of scope, I believe, because of gameplay/aesthetic playtesting requirements to apply to the daytime variant.

For the record, I do not consider webcasters to be qualitatively different, and therefore any less problematic, to stock scorpions, gameplay-wise.

EmanReleipS wrote:[...]Also, I don't know what ONS-CataldiPark-EONS-Edition-V1is and I'm curious about it. I have ONS-CataldiPark, but not that particular edit. Could you bundle it up for me, please?[...]
It's an edit Crusha did back in the TechCom days, that, as the name suggests, replaced stock scorps with their EONS counterparts, and then went wild with placing karmathing/NetKActor beachballs around the map (think MasterShower's duckie). You can find more details about it in this ancient GT.com thread. I've uploaded it here (.rar archive, ~7MB, map plus karmaonline.u dependency), but the thread I linked to reveals there's also a V2 that I've never played and thus isn't in my cache. Crusha's V2 is still live here, but I can't really comment on its quality.

EmanReleipS wrote:[...][Spambox, Grendelkeep, CataldiPark]
Clearly you are in imposter! Bring the pitchforks! The Peg I know would never say this![...]
I know, I know. I had to wince pretty hard and work through the mental anguish made manifest to force myself to write that, even after deciding it wouldn't hurt to put those ...maps on the roster just for the Halloween weekend :p. Many regulars might not even notice they were added if they'd be live just for Thursday night, was my thinking there.

EmanReleipS wrote:[...]Cat tax[...]
The white one is more agreeable to belly scritches, while the black one only seems to want to brood. It is hereby decreed that the reward for the genial one shall be ...even more belly scritches! (Also, spotted the imgurian :p.)

Lastly, I was gonna ask something akin to "just to be clear and so I can get started, you want me to work on micro-editing Tropic, on some specific bundle I proposed above as a whole, or something else?" Instead, it's probably better to take those specifics to the admin thread so as not to clutter this, presumably still about the celebration, thread will needless nitty gritty. I would still like to ask though, what's the official celebration schedule now, dates-wise? Still ending on the 10th of November or pushing past it?

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Post by EmanReleipS » Mon 28. Oct 2019, 20:55

If you are really hell-bent on completing a couple of micro-edits, then I think it would be best to give you some more time to complete them, as well as giving our players more time to appreciate them. It might be a bit of a stretch, because the special events (lan party and match event) are over and I'm not sure if I can convince peeps to wear their tags for so long, but I can try to stretch things until Nov 23rd, ending the celebration with the [20YRsUT] tag, as per your proposal.

Let's discuss the particulars of the micro-edits in the admin section.

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Post by EmanReleipS » Tue 29. Oct 2019, 21:17

Alright, first stream will begin tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10pm CET.

princesspenguina
Description: Yes, its me.

Post by princesspenguina » Wed 30. Oct 2019, 20:42

Happy birthday you fabulous bunch! MWAH! :yupi:

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus » Thu 31. Oct 2019, 22:09

Dear CEONSS Community,

We apologize for the interruption to the server's 10-year anniversary proceedings, but there's some urgent news we must inform you about. We can now confirm that earlier today, CEONSS suffered a security breach. Your personal data is secure, but there's been an incident involving the escape of three very dangerous zombie maps, previously kept contained in an underground CEONSS facility.

The following information cleared for publication contains details that some might find graphic or disturbing. Feel free to skip the next paragraph, if so inclined.

Specifically, our personnel first discovered IMPULZE-V3-C-beta3 unconscious and in a pool of red-hued emitters outside the unlocked enclosure of SPAMBOX-Revisited, while nearby, a delirious and multiply mutilated with BSP holes SpaceCargo-C-beta9, assigned to ONS-{IGS}-Grendelkeep-SP5 guard duty, was found rambling incoherently. Both are being treated and expect to recover, but all indications suggest the breach originated from another level far below. CanyonDuel-C-sp2-beta5 had been a recent staff addition to the facility, overseeing the isolated holding of ONS-CataldiPark-EONS-Edition-V1 there, and, apparently, failed to heed written warnings and take the necessary precautions while being around that exotic kind of zombie. CanyonDuel was found petrified and unresponsive, likely the result of some shrill sonic attack that had only ever been observed and documented twice in the past. Sadly, after numerous attempts, our best editors are confounded as to how to revive it from its crash-prone state, and we must now assume the worst, extending our sympathies to the wife and CanyonDuel Jr..

We here at CEONSS take your gameplay's integrity very seriously, and while these zombie maps are loose out in the roster's wilderness - looking for spam, bloody gibs, perhaps even revenge for their ill repute - we would like to urge all players to exercise extreme caution and make sure they've got at least one of their favourite guns with them at all times, while we mobilize every resource to round them up again. Efforts might take as long as the entire Halloween weekend to bring the situation under control, and volunteers are also encouraged to help, so please bear with us in this trying time and as some minor disruptions to other services might occur.

Thank you for your attention and understanding.

joeblow
Description: male gamer

Post by joeblow » Sun 3. Nov 2019, 20:36

Well that explains the new maps.

Anyway Stairs or Barnwars can make an appearance?

joeblow
Description: male gamer

Post by joeblow » Mon 4. Nov 2019, 00:10

Love the "old school" maps today!

Full bus (full server) Frostbite was a blast and Prime was a mine spam fest. I bet the CPU server overhead was loving it.

I wish I screen shotted the mines on Prime that's a classic.

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Post by EmanReleipS » Mon 4. Nov 2019, 19:28

I don't know Stairs and Barnwars. Have they been on CEONSS before? If not, we would need to check them out first. Do you have a download link?

I had a blast on Dawn the other day! It really took me back to the days when this game was young. We got a small edit (full weapon lockers, etc.) coming online today for Dawn, and I can't wait to play it! Also, there is a new little edit for Severance, so we should try that one as well!