Network Problems

News, server & forum rules
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Network Problems

Postby laboRHEinz » Thu 8. Mar 2012, 18:10

Since this morning, the DE-CIX is having problems. Customers of QSC and NetCollogne are bypassed to the server. Thus it's possible that some of you are having a higher ping than usual.

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Re: Network Problems

Postby RottenToTheCore » Thu 8. Mar 2012, 18:57

Yeah, experienced some lags and massive ping probs.

Is this temporary?

Greets from Rotten

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Thu 8. Mar 2012, 19:07

I hope so, yes. At least thay said they were still working on it.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Fri 9. Mar 2012, 12:19

Bad news, folks:

Our ISP just sent me several facts about yesterdays lag problems: there have been massive DDoS attacks against two of his customers. He didn't tell names, so I can't exclude that our server was a target. Unlikely though.

Two routers freezed as a result and the core-router has been overloaded. The ISP bypassed this by setting further static routes to other carriers.

By now, the problems should be solved. They improved their DDoS-defence and filter lists.

To get around future attacks, they decided to move soon to another data centre. I don't know whether the servers IP is to be changed; wouldn't be good, to say the least. In addition, the current data centre at Frankfurts Stock Exchange place does have excellent peerings. I hope the new location will not have worse :-(

Sorry for all the lags yesterday.

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Postby RottenToTheCore » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 00:35

Works fine again. :glugg:

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Sat 10. Mar 2012, 00:57

Not really. Too many ppl still having P/L. But it's better than yesterday, idd. The static routes seem to be the culprit. Can't change it, have to wait for the ISP.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Mon 12. Mar 2012, 12:16

Update:
The server is still running with this temporary routing solution. The ISP informed me that they are going to update their routers this Thursday. The better connection will be available from Friday on. Until then, most players will still have P/L, sorry.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Thu 29. Mar 2012, 18:05

Hi all,
I just wanted you all to know that I'm well aware of the current network situation aka packetlosses. I contacted the provider to fix this problem. Yet I don't know the culprit, I'll keep you informed. Possibly still an outcome of recent DDoS-attacks on other customers of our ISP.
Anyway, I'm already searching for another provider.

Edit: This evening, it's unplayable. Most likely another DDoS-attack. Can't do anything, I have to wait for the provider to interfere.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Thu 29. Mar 2012, 20:41

At least, todays massive P/L is gone by now. Nevertheless, I'll keep tracking the slight P/L which some of you still have since about a week. I'll PM some of those to send me some trace-logs.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Thu 29. Mar 2012, 23:29

Good, let's hope this doesn't happen again anytime soon. Still, it's got me wondering now which site was being DDoSed (and why). As I understand, some hosts can require of problem-attracting clients to accept being moved to separate hardware/IP pools or have their subscriptions suspended/terminated upon disagreeing if their sites are often found to be a target of inbound operation disruptions like DDoSes (especially if complaints from other customers start piling up). Something like that happened with the Canadian host (Canaca) where the site of a friend of mine that I was helping to run was hosted on some 4-5 years ago. Fixed the loading times and DL speeds right up when it finally happened. Anyways, story time over, let's hope your web neighbors keep it down from now on, we got some pretty important UT gaming to get back to!

Return to “Announcements”