Split

News, server & forum rules
Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Re: Split

Postby Wormbo » Fri 26. Oct 2012, 22:19

The basic idea may be good, but I'm not sure if that "modded vehicles" rule is a bit too strict. Small, well-balanced changes may be a good thing for people who like stock vehicle maps only for not being over the top.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 26. Oct 2012, 23:20

Personally i really like the idea. Hopefully we can get the two servers full. :jump:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Crusha K. Rool
Description: Coding Crocodile

Postby Crusha K. Rool » Sat 27. Oct 2012, 00:15

Stinger wrote:Could be a good move Heinz :thumbup:

It works well over at Omnipotents, the "deathmatch" style folks that dislike tanks have their favorites together,
and the "vehicles" folks that dislike DM style have theirs

Like you say time will tell if it's popular

I thought Omni only separates between "all our maps with super vehicles" and "thousand and one different versions of Minus-TMU with super vehicles".

SpaceEngineer
Description: what is it?

Postby SpaceEngineer » Sun 28. Oct 2012, 18:37

Well. it doesn't work. Server is still empty.

el_timbo
Description: MoD Firearms, Happy Idiot

Postby el_timbo » Mon 29. Oct 2012, 00:01

Hi guys,

Well I think Labor should be applauded for trying a bold move and splitting the traditional against the newer modded vehicle heavy maps!

Unfortunately although I would have loved to see it work with both servers full, the majority of players seem to just tune out and quit when they can't play with their favourite hyper-powerful vehicle. This almost certainly means that the modded vehicle maps will be making a return I guess and while I was a voice for less of those maps - I can't (and won't) argue against the case for bringing them back as I want to see this great server bulging with players all of the time, if it means bringing back those maps then so be it.

I will make a pre-apology for the times when I will just gently rage-spec when certain maps arise - don't be too annoyed at me, it's just me being me lmao

I'd just like to say a big thanks to Labor for giving the split a try - many admins wouldn't have had the balls to even think about it, never mind try it!

As I've already said to Labor - some experiments work, some don't - such is life.

Treat everything in life as a learning experience, if it don't work - don't do it again! (as said by a badger climbing off a skunk)

Timbo
:)

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Postby RottenToTheCore » Mon 29. Oct 2012, 19:12

Funny Idea.

But this will only work when you use the custom CEONSS Colors for the Server Name!

Then some people could find it :)

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Postby laboRHEinz » Tue 30. Oct 2012, 19:40

Well, it didn't work indeed, SpaceEngineer. Back to normal then. Current players don't seem to like changes. The main server provides the whole bandwidth from DM-like to overpowered vehicles again. And that's exactly what people use to vote. Anything but oldschool ONS. If there wouldn't be a repeat limit...

The Tankhouse will be run until the end of February 2013. That's a contract thing, it doesn't cause extra costs until then. If there's someone out there wanting to take it: Hardware 1500€, monthly costs: 105€ and it'll be yours (without redirect server), just PM me.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Tue 30. Oct 2012, 20:23

I already posted a similar suggestion over at the Omni forums for a related problem:
How about giving players a chance to vote for a random map instead of some specific map?

[edit]
And just as I posted this, I saw a new thread over there that indicates actual interest in that concept.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Tue 30. Oct 2012, 20:56

I'm skeptical. If people are already hell bent on playing the same maps they know they perform best (or feel most at home) in over and over again and already refuse to expand their horizons by trying other maps that a server's staff has already vetted, determined as worthwhile alternatives and added to the roster (not saying that's always the case with CEONSS), by what reasoning can you support the claim that a random vote feature would on its own now help expand voting diversity within that same community of people? What's to convince us/you this won't just be regarded as another ephemeral novelty that ppl will toy with for a couple o' days before proceeding to return to their usual voting habits simply because the random vote gave 'em exactly what their previous, own, rare, "adventurous" choices had given 'em before (i.e. maps they weren't too keen on)? How many times has any of us clicked Google's "I'm feeling lucky" button after all?

I wonder if the answer to the limited, repetitive voting repertoire concern lies elsewhere...

Stinger
Description: UK player

Postby Stinger » Wed 31. Oct 2012, 12:53

laboRHEinz wrote:Well, it didn't work indeed, SpaceEngineer. Back to normal then. Current players don't seem to like changes. The main server provides the whole bandwidth from DM-like to overpowered vehicles again. And that's exactly what people use to vote. Anything but oldschool ONS. If there wouldn't be a repeat limit...

The Tankhouse will be run until the end of February 2013. That's a contract thing, it doesn't cause extra costs until then. If there's someone out there wanting to take it: Hardware 1500€, monthly costs: 105€ and it'll be yours (without redirect server), just PM me.

Thats a shame, its not had very long to get established, and like rotten said perhaps it needs the server title to be "CEONS-TANKHOUSE" and the colours added so as folks can find it easily and others recognise it as a CEONS resource, and not just another random server

Return to “Announcements”