New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

News, server & forum rules
Cat1981England
Administrator

New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 21. May 2015, 01:16

If anyone finds any bugs, would like to post feedback or has some suggestions regarding the new forum, please post here :thumbup:

---------

[s]Top menus: Done[/s]
[s]Forum software numbers on footer: Done[/s]
https: WIP
[s]In Google search: Done[/s]
Last visited member page: WIP
[s]Smilies box: Done[/s]
[s]Background two columns: Done[/s]
[s]Status icons: Done[/s]
Indexing bots: WIP
[s]Favicon: Done[/s]
[s]Member list page number (black/white): Done[/s]
[s]Attached image width: Done[/s]
[s]Message body: Done[/s]
Font colour link/menu: WIP
[s]Change text area background colour to black: Done[/s]
Sortables captcha plugin: WIP
TeamSpeak and GameTracker : WIP
[s]General forum 2 status columns: Done[/s]
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Re: New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

Postby Maniac » Thu 21. May 2015, 10:32

UI: top menu styles.
The left part (Register/Login or Notifications/Private messages/Logout) is placed "between" the visible black-grey rows.
The right part spawns a row for each list item, so when logged in it has pretty big height.
Also, in the right part the "Search" is broken in 2 rows, one with an arrow and one with the text.

Reproduced in: Linux - Chromium, Chrome, Firefox.
Win 7x64: Chrome, Firefox

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Thu 21. May 2015, 21:28

Here's some thoughts I've amassed so far on the msg. board upgrade:

- One of the easiest methods for attackers that have just procured their new msg. board 0-day exploit in the shadier parts of the internet to test the effectiveness of their new wares is to search for specific software & version numbers combinations and proceed (to make an account there first and then) with the actual testing. With that in mind, it might be best to judiciously comment out parts of the footer here in the relevant .php assets since it currently states both the msg. board software as well as its version, a cautionary measure we've been taking with previous versions for awhile now.
- Another issue regarding security that might be apropos now would be something already discussed awhile back internally, namely whether it's time the site started forcing https. Looking into the issue of how one might go about acquiring a certificate for the site is something I've admittedly never dived into myself (or even if such a thing would be granted to a host's subscriber automatically), but I've noticed plenty of other hobbyist-level sites switching to https over the past year, and just going by that, I'm assuming hosts and authentication services should be making an effort to provide these relatively easily these days. Oh, also maybe finally resolving the www subdomain discrepancy that's probably divided the community for years now into two groups unbeknownst to anyone as well :s. I distinctly remember cookies not being interoperable between the two as quite a baffling discovery that first led me to start looking into this 'round the time Cat became the boss.
- While sorting members by the "last visited" stat isn't offered anymore in the memberlist page - and it's a feature the return of which I'd certainly welcome back - the code itself to achieve that doesn't seem to've been removed in the php. This leads to the weird situation where one can perform that particular query, but only after guessing the correct relevant variable's value (or look it up in their pre-upgrade browsing history). To wit and for convenience, here's the members list by last visit sorted in descending and ascending order. Given that it's still possible to do this and I'm assuming this wasn't a conscious choice on CEONSS' part, the omission of that option seems to've been decided either officially, but late in main version dev and after the old code was allowed to remain, or, even more bizarrely, on the theme level. Long rant short, plz keep it in mind in case there's a way to re-enable that column/toggle.
- Another, far simpler, usability issue has to do with the sudden CPU/bandwidth resource spike one might experience when going into Full Editor & Preview mode due to all the smilies having to load and be displayed at once, if those assets weren't recently cached by a user's browser. Perhaps look again into some quick n' dirty javascript hack to hide part of the box and make the whole thing visible on demand? Or maybe phpbb.net may already have some other, equally elegant solution to that problem for msg. board communities that are more... exuberant with their smilies preferences :).
- In the aesthetic/stylesheet department now, I almost immediately noticed two issues, which were both easy enough to resolve through some simple additions to an already existing Greasemonkey script I've had for the site, so let's go through those for a bit. The first was already brought up above by Maniac and involves the #linkrow element being given a "width: 100%" attribute (Firefox says that's in stylesheet.css line 1311), which causes its contents to stack vertically instead of spreading horizontally. Removing that entry should fix the needless cramming.
Issue number two has to do with the background image's two columns seeming a bit too indented, which screws with the rest of the theme's otherwise cohesive design (although I definitely preferred the older one myself, but more on this later). Obviously, this is more of a subjective assessment than a proper bug report, but I'd still recommend giving the body element a "background-size: 82.3% auto;" attribute just to see how much nicer it can look that way (IMO), and then decide where you finally leave it at.
- Speaking of the older theme, any chance that a backup of its assets was made somewhere that we could theoretically access & use to improve some of the current one's... less than stellar assets? It's those yellowish/orange square status icons I find especially catch one's eye as strikingly generic and flavourless :/. More of a longer term low priority issue this, but just thought I'd poke the subject, see what people think of this theme now that it's actually been in use for awhile and where any of their criticisms might focus on.
- Been seeing Bing's little spiders crawling around recently and it made me wonder where exactly the current robots.txt (and/or equivalent directives) configuration stands right now. I think there was also a long enough previous period where the msg. board was prohibiting google trawling through our premises, so which way would you say this mentality has evolved towards now? For my part, I've always been kinda distant on the whole matter myself, so don't take this as veiled criticism for or against any recent changes, btw.
- Last, but not least, anyone else finds it weird how the site no longer has a favicon? You know, that weird feeling you'd get if the badge in the front (or atop the bonnet) of your car just got ganked? That yellow star wasn't exactly high-concept art, but it was the trinket that tied our whole theme together, damnit :p!

Anyway, that's all I could think of for now, hope some of it helps.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 21. May 2015, 22:35

Yeah, I've got a copy of the old forum on my desktop.

Thank you both. Keep it coming.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 24. May 2015, 12:15

Pegasus wrote:- Last, but not least, anyone else finds it weird how the site no longer has a favicon? You know, that weird feeling you'd get if the badge in the front (or atop the bonnet) of your car just got ganked? That yellow star wasn't exactly high-concept art, but it was the trinket that tied our whole theme together, damnit :p!

How's that, or did you want to go back to a star?

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Sun 24. May 2015, 18:32

Umm, I think you need to bunch up the favicon's <link> element along with the others right below the title tag (in the .php part of the code that generates the html) in order for it to show, boss; right now the site still has no icon, as far as I can see. As for the favicon itself, which I could see because I had it directly linked to in my starter page, there was something vaguely off about it (too pixel art-ish? dunno how else to describe it :s), so I decided to try my hand at it n' see if I couldn't come up with something worth sharing as an alternative. Here's what I got:
ceonss_favicon_wip.png
ceonss_favicon_wip.png (710 Bytes) Viewed 2168 times
If it's in a direction you like but want some adjustments to it, lemme know and I'll try to fix it up.

Favicon aside, I got 2 more stylesheet suggestions for ya, while I'm striking out the #linkrow one from my GM script as it just got implemented:
- .pagination {color: white;} instead of black in stylesheet.css:285. Problem with black is immediately visible in the memberlists page where you get black text on black background between the numbered page links. Elsewhere, such multi-part link row sections don't carry the .pagination class so that's the only place it has any impact.
- Tidying up externally hosted and attached images in posts that stretch the page horizontally took a few attempts, but I think the rule .attachcontent .postimage, .postbody .postimage {max-width: 65vw;} (added somewhere near/after stylesheet.css:702) comes closest to dealing with all of 'em elegantly - or, at least it does in the latest Firefox version; the vw notation still seems less than universal. Should people report problems, maybe .attachcontent .postimage, .postbody .postimage {max-width: 100%;} might be a decent alternative, although I haven't had perfect results with it. As a final note here, you do not want to issue a styling directive for all .postimage elements outside of a max-size one because that would also include (as in, enlarge) signatures, which is why I'm giving the rule additional in-post selectors.
Oh, and I guess thanks should go out to Ema and Zon3r for unwittingly supplying me with examples for the 2 different cases to work/test with in their more recent posts :).

Thanks for porting the status icons from the older skin, btw. And just so I'm not always asking others to do the adaptive work in that regard, if you'd like me to take a stab at image editing the in-post/in-thread buttons so that they're less orange and more fitting with the server's "trademark" shade of yellow, like in the logo, lemme know and I'll see what I can do. Alternatively, if you have in mind something more straightforward, such as simply transplanting the old skin's counterparts to the current one instead, give me a heads-up and I'll wait for that before coming up with more bright theme-related ideas.

Oh, and one last, little thing:
:p

K, that's all I got for now. Keep up the good work, Boss.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 24. May 2015, 22:26

lmao, i can't imagine you get invited to too many weddings after that night Peg :p

------------

I don't know why the favicon wasn't working, it was for me in IE but not in Opera or FF :dunnosoz: It should be ok now. I think we should go for something else as i'm fairly sure that star is from an early version of IE. Anyway, that one looks much better so we'll go for that unless anyone can come up with something better.

Peg wrote:Thanks for porting the status icons from the older skin, btw. And just so I'm not always asking others to do the adaptive work in that regard, if you'd like me to take a stab at image editing the in-post/in-thread buttons so that they're less orange and more fitting with the server's "trademark" shade of yellow, like in the logo, lemme know and I'll see what I can do.

Sure go for it. If you do that i'll start changing the lettering colour to the old yellow.

Alternatively, if you have in mind something more straightforward, such as simply transplanting the old skin's counterparts to the current one instead, give me a heads-up and I'll wait for that before coming up with more bright theme-related ideas.

I tried that and it looked really out of place.

-----

Thanks Peg :thumbup:

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Mon 25. May 2015, 00:30

Okay, so just applying the same automated approach via Paint.NET's Hue/Saturation tool, it only took a few minutes to shift all 11 icons & buttons' shade towards the lighter yellow area without affecting the blacks & whites of the borders and font, save for the red no-pass/user-warning one which required first deselecting all the reddish areas before applying, but that was easy enough. Instead of just uploading 11 files in an archive and calling it done though, I thought I'd make a mockup of this page with the re-hued set of icons, as well as all hyperlinks correspondingly colour adjusted, and see what people think of it, just to make sure this is indeed as good a move as initially conceived.

Here's what the visual endgame of these efforts would make your typical msg. board thread look like. So, what do we think? Good? Bad? Not warm enough or just a matter of getting used to it after a few days?

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 25. May 2015, 20:47

Nice work Peg, although it does look a little too yellow if I'm honest. Is there any chance it could be made a little duller, as it was on the old style?

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Tue 26. May 2015, 00:18

Well, I can certainly give it another go with a slighter hue alteration, that's not a problem, but your link got me wondering about the whole point of it instead. If, as seems to be the case, CA Black is available for phpBB 3.0.x, wouldn't that mean we can just apply it to the msg. board as-is and it would work as intended? Or are the 3.1.x updates that radically different from the previous subversion that they break the skin?

Return to “Announcements”