New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

News, server & forum rules
Cat1981England

Re: New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 26. May 2015, 22:58

I had the same thought, but it's completely different, they should have named it 4.0

It one of the reasons why all those tweaks are taking so long to do, none of the old guides are valid anymore.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Sat 30. May 2015, 14:48

I noticed some things about the new forum yesterday when I tried to send pms for the match event: I can't seem to find the "send new message" button in the messages area, so I had to search for members, click on their names and then click on the "send pm" function. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to select more recipients. Nor is there a way to select someone from the member list if you delete the recipient you initially had (say, I reconsidered whom to message). Then you just end up with a pm to no one....

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby Maniac » Sat 30. May 2015, 15:14

Left menu, "Private messages", "Compose message" (the 4th item)

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Sat 30. May 2015, 18:21

Maniac wrote:Left menu, "Private messages", "Compose message" (the 4th item)

Ah, thanks a lot!

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Sun 31. May 2015, 20:42

A bit later than initially planned, but still, time for another round o' feedback.

- First off, employing the hyperlinks colour from the CA Black theme that the msg. board used to utilize for years (namely, #E0BF07), per Cat's link, as well as a redone set of icons & buttons where the hue alteration is only halfway towards that tint compared to the previous take so that it's not "too yellow", per Cat's words ( :p), here's a new mockup of this thread's 2nd page as it would look with these adjustments. Feel free to share your thoughts, and if this one's deemed workable, I'll post the 11 modified .gifs in a compressed archive for Cat to use.
- Somewhat related to the previous issue by way of one particular button's functionality, I just wanted to point out that the progression from the previous phpBB major version to this one in terms of usability seems rather counter-intuitive as regards ease of access to a poster's profile. I think it's fair to say, it's become pretty much a standard across msg. board software for awhile now that a member's nickname string (and/or their avatar image) at the info section of each post either doubles as a direct link to their profile or as a dropdown box origin point from where one can find such a link. For some reason, however, this version (or just the current skin?) breaks from that practice and instead bunches that link along with the other, usual contact options below the poster's signature for no discernible purpose - besides novelty, I suppose. Dunno whether anybody else here ran across this yet and got baffled by it, and while it wouldn't be particularly hard to alter (just cut out the Profile button's html-generating code in viewtopic.php and stick that in the user name part of the post's info section with the string replacing the .gif part), I'm just bringing it up as a possible mental note for later sum consideration with other similar issues that might crop up, just like with the Last Visited memberlist sorting.
- Lastly in the usability department, is font colouring broken in the Full Edit post & PM composition pages? There seems to only be a bit of text suggesting its availability, but no actual button or dropdown menu to do any text manipulating with, and I distinctly remember it being there a few days ago :s.
- On the front of implementations of previous .css suggestions now, first off, cheers for giving a brighter text colour to the .pagination class - one less thing cluttering up my GM script now :). Regarding the proposed solution to make attached and externally hosted pics tidily fit in posts, however, I think there's been a slight mix-up in the implementation: instead of invoking a pair of new, dual selector rules imposing a 65vw max-width attribute that would apply the modification to .postimage elements within .attachcontent or .postbody classed ancestors and adjust only those pics accordingly (say, placed right below stylesheet.css:705), the current approach of simply appending the 65vw max-width prescription to the existent single selector .postbody rule (stylesheet.css:259), and in combination with the overflow: auto trait right before it, result in horizontal scrollbars appearing at the bottom of posts containing pics wider than the browser's screen width, as can be seen in the ONS-MyRoom_v2 discussion thread. Just to make sure Cat's deviating adjustment here wasn't owed to my initial suggestion somehow breaking something, I retested it today using that same thread and I still found the previously proposed rule of .attachcontent .postimage, .postbody .postimage {max-width: 65vw;} works best, but only when introduced to the .css as is and after .postbody's own max-width: 65vw and overflow: auto are first removed. Edit: actually make that 63vw; 65 was still stretching posts, albeit just barely.
- One new .css suggestion would be to make the textareas' background colour black (in stylesheet.css:536) so that it matches the topic text field's one above it, but, more importantly, to make composing a message somewhat easier on the eyes.

Lastly and a bit more generally, if it's not too much trouble right now, Cat, would you mind offering some status update-type comments on some of the more complicated/long-term suggestions offered in my first post in this thread, and specifically on whether they're being processed, still considered or shelved for now? TIA.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 31. May 2015, 21:20

Pegasus wrote:Lastly and a bit more generally, if it's not too much trouble right now, Cat, would you mind offering some status update-type comments on some of the more complicated/long-term suggestions offered in my first post in this thread, and specifically on whether they're being processed, still considered or shelved for now? TIA.

Sure. I'm trying to work through at least one of the suggested forum change each day - while also doing some map editing to keep things ticking along on that front.

-----------

HTTPS. I've bought us a SSL certificate, we're just waiting for our ISP to provide a certificate signing request as we can't generate our own. They said they would get back to us on Tuesday.

Last visited tab: I can create a tab, but I'm still working on getting the dates to show up in the column.

Similes box: Having trouble with the scroll function.

Indexing bots: We show up in all the major search engines apart for Google. I've made requests for them to index us, and once we show up i'll change the settings back to how they were.

Message body: Removed today.

------

BTW, a sortables captcha plugin for 3.1 was released on Friday. I'll try and get it installed tomorrow.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 31. May 2015, 21:28

Thank you for your work Peg :thumbup:

Pegasus wrote:- First off, employing the hyperlinks colour from the CA Black theme that the msg. board used to utilize for years (namely, #E0BF07), per Cat's link, as well as a redone set of icons & buttons where the hue alteration is only halfway towards that tint compared to the previous take so that it's not "too yellow", per Cat's words ( :p), here's a new mockup of this thread's 2nd page as it would look with these adjustments. Feel free to share your thoughts, and if this one's deemed workable, I'll post the 11 modified .gifs in a compressed archive for Cat to use.

The lettering/type (whatever it's called) looks much better, not sure about the "New Topic" "Post Reply" etc icons though. It might be my knacked eyes, but I'm finding them hard to read. The old ones had black lettering, maybe that would work better?

button_topic_new.gif
button_topic_new.gif (2.6 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

---edit----

Pegasus wrote:- Lastly in the usability department, is font colouring broken in the Full Edit post & PM composition pages? There seems to only be a bit of text suggesting its availability, but no actual button or dropdown menu to do any text manipulating with, and I distinctly remember it being there a few days ago :

Odd. I just tried restoring all the original files and it still didn't work :dunnosoz: I'll add it to the to-do list.

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby Maniac » Mon 1. Jun 2015, 09:58

Forums is looking better every day :thumbup:.

might be my knacked eyes

Count me in, too. Possible to read, but impossible to glance - I have to concentrate on one button at a time in order to actually read the text.

Btw, are you going to add the TS and GameTracker snippets again? Or at least links to them, if no? It was great to have access to this info from the forums index page.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 1. Jun 2015, 20:49

Maniac wrote:Btw, are you going to add the TS and GameTracker snippets again? Or at least links to them, if no? It was great to have access to this info from the forums index page.

Added to the to-do list.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 3. Jun 2015, 00:57

Pegasus wrote:Regarding the proposed solution to make attached and externally hosted pics tidily fit in posts, however, I think there's been a slight mix-up in the implementation: instead of invoking a pair of new, dual selector rules imposing a 65vw max-width attribute that would apply the modification to .postimage elements within .attachcontent or .postbody classed ancestors and adjust only those pics accordingly (say, placed right below stylesheet.css:705), the current approach of simply appending the 65vw max-width prescription to the existent single selector .postbody rule (stylesheet.css:259), and in combination with the overflow: auto trait right before it, result in horizontal scrollbars appearing at the bottom of posts containing pics wider than the browser's screen width, as can be seen in the ONS-MyRoom_v2 discussion thread. Just to make sure Cat's deviating adjustment here wasn't owed to my initial suggestion somehow breaking something, I retested it today using that same thread and I still found the previously proposed rule of .attachcontent .postimage, .postbody .postimage {max-width: 65vw;} works best, but only when introduced to the .css as is and after .postbody's own max-width: 65vw and overflow: auto are first removed. Edit: actually make that 63vw; 65 was still stretching posts, albeit just barely.

I must be doing something wrong. Whenever I apply the above changes the image is larger then the image box and overhangs on the right hand side a little.

Here's a copy of the Stylesheet with only .pagination {color: white;} changed if you have any ideas?

Return to “Announcements”