New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

News, server & forum rules
Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

Postby Pegasus » Wed 3. Jun 2015, 21:46

Time for another replies' roundup.

First off, thanks for the status update on those tougher nuts, Cat - good to know how (or whether) stuff is coming along. Also, what trouble do you seem to be having with the smilies' scroll function? I'm not exactly a JS guru, but this sounds something I might be able to help with.

Moving on to the msg. board's theme adjustment front, and regarding the re-hued buttons specifically, you brought up the colouring scheme of CA Black's corresponding assets as one with a more readable contrast. Thing is, while that's obviously true (black on light yellow is more legible than white on light yellow), black text isn't part of AnimeZone's visual design package and, thus, I have trouble imagining what adjustments could be made toward that direction while keeping the current theme consistent throughout its various components :/. I could easily make all the buttons' text black while leaving the 4 icons' symbols while, if that's what you want, but somehow I doubt the whole thing would mesh together and avoid looking like a kludge.
To zoom out to the bigger picture here, the whole conversation about hue adjustments began because the default AnimeZone colour scheme (mainly in links and buttons) wasn't matching what most people would consider to be CEONSS' "traditional colours", but as a whole it was close enough to allow getting there within a few adjustments, which is what I set off attempting to do with the mockups. Still, if trying to move passably close to those traditional colours through these tweaks brings us up against undeniable usability issues, like recent feedback would suggest, a hard decision might need to be made here about what should be sacrificed - assuming CA Black doesn't become a choice again soon, that is - regarding whether it makes more sense to be more orange than before but assuredly legible, or if it's worth preserving the server's "branded" theme, even if that makes it a bit harder for some to read the buttons. Give it a go-over and lemme know what you want as, either way, it's likely within my (limited) pic editing abilities to come up with a passable result. As a personal comment for the record though, default AZ orange is IMO a bit too orange to serve as CEONSS' msg. board colour scheme. 'Kay, that took longer than I expected, lessee what else there is to talk about...

Regarding .css-spanking stretchy attached/hotlinked images into submission, it seems that the current stylesheet edit with the more terse .postimage {max-width: 63vw;} in line 702 is doing the trick from where I'm [s]sitting[/s] browsing, i.e. latest official Firefox version and 1280x768 reso. Are you still experiencing pics breaking their containers on your end? If so, what browser and reso are you using and which variety of pics are we talking about (attached or hotlinked)? If everything's working fine for you too, well, kudos for solving it on your own :).

Lastly, a minor new item that had been gnawing at me from the back of my mind since the upgrade, but which I somehow forgot to post last time even when I did manage to put my finger on it: for some reason the General forum is the only one that features 2 status columns left of the threads' titles with the inner one having only empty cells. As a quick stroll by the ACP confirmed, that's owed to it being uniquely set to display any user-set topic icons. Seeing how nobody really employs this feature (and equally relevantly, haven't topic icons always been shown right before their titles in the same cell even when ppl got mileage outta 'em :s?), I guess I was mostly baffled by how this quirk came to be in the first place. Ah well, maybe we'll never know, but it's my nitpicking duty to report it :p.

Anyway, that's all I got. Lemme know how you want to proceed with the skin stuff and I'll see about getting that part of the upgrade finally wrapped up and delivered. Oh, and one last reminder about giving the body {background-size: 82.3% auto;} rule a try because experience so far has only convinced me even more it rocks ;)!

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 3. Jun 2015, 22:55

Pegasus wrote:Also, what trouble do you seem to be having with the smilies' scroll function? I'm not exactly a JS guru, but this sounds something I might be able to help with.

I can't create it. Tried copying the scroll function from the old forum and new. Tried a few other things from other mods. Nothing. It's gonna take some time.

Regarding .css-spanking stretchy attached/hotlinked images into submission, it seems that the current stylesheet edit with the more terse .postimage {max-width: 63vw;} in line 702 is doing the trick from where I'm [s]sitting[/s] browsing, i.e. latest official Firefox version and 1280x768 reso. Are you still experiencing pics breaking their containers on your end? If so, what browser and reso are you using and which variety of pics are we talking about (attached or hotlinked)? If everything's working fine for you too, well, kudos for solving it on your own :).

Well for me with Opera the hotlinked pics don't have any boxes and the attached look like this,

63vw.png
63vw.png (403.45 KiB) Viewed 1619 times

If you're happy with it though, then it's good enough for me :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Wed 3. Jun 2015, 23:36

Cat1981England wrote:I can't create [a smilies' scroll function]. Tried copying the scroll function from the old forum and new. Tried a few other things from other mods. Nothing. It's gonna take some time.[...]
Well, I just got a mix of stylesheet attributes that I think works as you'd want it, but the problem is, there seems to be no elegant way to identify the html element it should be applied to through CSS selectors; Firefox tells me its unique selector is... get ready for this: #wrapcentre > form:nth-child(8) > table:nth-child(1) > tbody:nth-child(1) > tr:nth-child(3) > td:nth-child(1) > table:nth-child(3) > tbody:nth-child(1) > tr:nth-child(2). Yeah...
The smarter solution here would be engaging in a bit of .php editing (the posting.php file), as in either manually giving the <tr> element containing all the pictures (that's the one below its first sibling that contains the "Smilies" text) a unique class name (say, via the in-html attribute class="smiliesbox") and doing the rest normally through the .css or by simply feeding the 3 styling rules by the same way, e.g. in its html code to the effect of <tr style="height: 315px; overflow-y: scroll; display: inline-block;" ... {rest of tr header here}>.

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby Maniac » Thu 4. Jun 2015, 00:49

I can confirm that editing the source file to add a custom class to the smilies box is the best way of doing it. The users requested the smilies scroll feature since 2007, but the devs managed to ignore it somehow.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 4. Jun 2015, 00:51

Pegasus wrote:Well, I just got a mix of stylesheet attributes that I think works as you'd want it, but the problem is, there seems to be no elegant way to identify the html element it should be applied to through CSS selectors; Firefox tells me its unique selector is... get ready for this: #wrapcentre > form:nth-child(8) > table:nth-child(1) > tbody:nth-child(1) > tr:nth-child(3) > td:nth-child(1) > table:nth-child(3) > tbody:nth-child(1) > tr:nth-child(2). Yeah...
The smarter solution here would be engaging in a bit of .php editing (the posting.php file), as in either manually giving the <tr> element containing all the pictures (that's the one below its first sibling that contains the "Smilies" text) a unique class name (say, via the in-html attribute class="smiliesbox") and doing the rest normally through the .css or by simply feeding the 3 styling rules by the same way, e.g. in its html code to the effect of <tr style="height: 315px; overflow-y: scroll; display: inline-block;" ... {rest of tr header here}>.

Thanks, i'll give it a go tomorrow.

Pegasus wrote:As a personal comment for the record though, default AZ orange is IMO a bit too orange to serve as CEONSS' msg. board colour scheme.

I hate to say this, but I quite like the orange and black, I do agree though that it's not "traditional colours" and we should look to change back. Once they have updated their styles to 3.1 we could apply whatever changes we make now "even if that makes it a bit harder for some to read the buttons" and get our old look back.

In the mean time anything that is close will do and we can tinker with it over time. I might have a go at creating some "new post" icons myself at some point.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 5. Jun 2015, 20:31

Thank you both, we now have our scroll bar. Is the smilie box width ok, or did you want ti smaller/bigger?

---

I've added all the jobs to the first post to keep everyone up to date.

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby Maniac » Sun 7. Jun 2015, 11:57

"Private messages" section: top right corner paginator styles are not perfect (<td> width is too small, "Go to page" comes in 3 lines instead of 1).
"Post reply" section: the old posts preview has a horizontal scroll. I'm not sure if it is easy or possible at all to fix it in a proper way (the best I came up with was "zoom: 0.9" for the container), but it would be nice.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 17. Jun 2015, 22:49

I haven't forgotten, still working on those final problems.

Mani could you send me a screen shot please, I can't reproduce it.

What do you think about the background Peg?

Pegasus

Postby Pegasus » Wed 17. Jun 2015, 23:04

Umm, if you're talking about the body {background-size: 82.3% auto} rule, I believe it's been in place for awhile now (like, almost 2 weeks since I removed it from my custom ceonss.net script) and I think it looks pretty good. Otherwise, if you're referring to something else previously mentioned here, it must be eluding me right now, so please elaborate.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 17. Jun 2015, 23:31

Changed the body and header background so it's now dark gray like the old style and the 2 side bars are removed.

forumbackground.png
forumbackground.png (223.25 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

Return to “Announcements”