New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

News, server & forum rules
Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Sun 8. Oct 2017, 11:13

I have.. and it's all in german now, but the 4 extra blocks (new, active..) on the top (but that's ok).
I don't have that posting bug, never had it often, but I may have to say that my cookies and all other things are cleared everytime I close the browser.

What I still have is that I don't get any e-mail notifikations (yes all are checked correctly).. the normal forum notifications are working.. I tryed it with a few mail adresses.. web.de, gmx.de, gmail.com .. all the same.. when sending a Mail via forum the "send kopie to my mail" thing is working fine.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: New forum bug, feedback and suggestions.

Postby Pegasus » Sat 13. Jan 2018, 18:50

Been reading numerous articles throughout this week about how much attention the Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs and their fixes have been given by big tech industry players (and for good reason), and what the performance impact of addressing 'em might be. Although it might be a bit early, I was wondering what the admin team's take and strategy on the issue might be going forward?
Assuming I'm not misremembering any more recent developments and that CEONSS13 is still the server's current hardware configuration, the stated Core i5 3570K is an Ivy Bridge processor and not a (later) Haswell or Broadwell class CPU, both of which Intel currently recommends holding off on applying relevant microcode patches for. To my knowledge, the linux community's already got some patches circulating on the issue as well, although I can't readily say how applicable they might be in this case. TiA for any clarification.

While I'm bumping this thread (and perhaps wrongly too - should we have a different thread for non-msg. board-specific bugs?), could we also get an update on the HTTPS certificate issue? At the risk of invoking Current Year Argument, there are some concerning security implications for logging into, say, the board's ACP on a non-secure connection, especially when away from home, in this day and age. Thanks again.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Thu 18. Jan 2018, 21:05

Pegasus wrote:Been reading numerous articles throughout this week about how much attention the Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs and their fixes have been given by big tech industry players (and for good reason), and what the performance impact of addressing 'em might be. Although it might be a bit early, I was wondering what the admin team's take and strategy on the issue might be going forward?
Assuming I'm not misremembering any more recent developments and that CEONSS13 is still the server's current hardware configuration, the stated Core i5 3570K is an Ivy Bridge processor and not a (later) Haswell or Broadwell class CPU, both of which Intel currently recommends holding off on applying relevant microcode patches for. To my knowledge, the linux community's already got some patches circulating on the issue as well, although I can't readily say how applicable they might be in this case. TiA for any clarification.

It seems we only have fixes for Meltdown so far and Spectre fixes are still in testing pocket mode. (Although there is also this, which confuses me.)
Our Meltdown fix should have been applied on Sunday morning when I installed the latest updates.
As for the Meltdown fix being bugged, it was fixed right the next day. (But it seems to just have affected Ubuntu 16 and we're not running it.)

If you are worried about the performance impact, I can keep an eye on the CPU load , but it has been below 50% for the past few year (quoting Heinz) probably thanks to Cat even when the server is full. So even if these patches have a bit of a performance impact, we should be fine. :)

While I'm bumping this thread (and perhaps wrongly too - should we have a different thread for non-msg. board-specific bugs?), could we also get an update on the HTTPS certificate issue? At the risk of invoking Current Year Argument, there are some concerning security implications for logging into, say, the board's ACP on a non-secure connection, especially when away from home, in this day and age. Thanks again.

I'm gonna need to look into this some more. Cat got a certificate in 2015, but it expired. I'll try to get a new one and figure out what to do with it (apart from new wall decoration). ;)

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Thu 18. Jan 2018, 21:29

Thanks for the update, Ema. In truth, I wasn't particularly concerned about the prospect of a patch for either bug significantly impacting the server's CPU performance, given the particulars of what kinda service it performs and resources it typically demands (IIRC, ucc is only single process- and single-core optimized; perhaps multiple threads is the only place where some benefits are derived, but overall a beast like CEONSS' current processor should still cope handily), but it's still good to know performance stats have remained within a manageable window, thanks to efforts and know-how from both previous bosses. Getting some protection from both bugs was my main concern.

As to the HTTPS matter, my windy, twisting, daily trek across the interwebs a few weeks ago happened to bring me before an EFF article that recommended HTTP traffic encryption as a nowadays standard and necessary practice to thwart privacy-encroaching threats (from ISPs and MITMs), which, in turn, pointed to this guide on how sites can get HTTPS for free via Let's Encrypt. Perhaps it's worth a glance?

Hope that helps, and thanks again.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Wed 24. Jan 2018, 00:32

Just read on the news that Intel has pulled their Meltdown fixes again due to them causing frequent restarts on some systems, but has released new ones. I will be performing another round of updates on the weekend.

Edit: Updates are done.

Return to “Announcements”