Current Lag & PL issues

UT2004 related discussions
Droopy_Bollocks
Description: Gets the job done quietly

Current Lag & PL issues

Post by Droopy_Bollocks »

Hi,

Well for the 3rd day running, quality of Ping and PL onto CEONSS server has been pretty bad. Had to quit after a couple of games as there's random Pl all over, Pings are spiking wildly (+-50) and that indicates there's a blockage somewhere.

I know it's not just my connection, at least 30% of the players were experiencing it tonight, makes any sort of accurate aiming virtually impossible and since I'm not a flak spammer or high-pinger it ends up being a pointless game. I don't want to complain mid game (and get the normal flaming response) so I'd rather quit and voice my thoughts here and see if anyone else shares my concerns.

DB
Don't bother asking - I won't answer.

Silence is a virtue, not a weakness
RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Re: Current Lag & PL issues

Post by RottenToTheCore »

Hey Droops,

had this on several servers today, seems to be a problem on other servers as well.

If it would be CEONSS itself, 100% would have the p/l, i assume? So it rather could be maintenance on some server hardware somewhere on the route from your computer to CEONSS.

Greets
Droopy_Bollocks

Oh yeah I agree Rotti

Problem is that many players don't seem to realise (or bother) what's going on, makes me laugh

No point me saying in game because you'll get the usual suspects claiming it's my connection etc etc

DB

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England »

Thanks for the heads up DB.

There hasn't been any changes server side for 2 weeks, so I don't think it's anything to do with CEONSS itself. What I've done tonight is installed any OS updates on the server, restarted it, rebuilt our UT install and slightly lowered a couple of our settings. Have another go tomorrow and see how it is.

We have had problems with the forum over the last two week and the provider claimed it was down to DNS issues. Perhaps some companies are rerouting people while they perform maintenance on router nodes :dunnosoz: I'll send our server ISP an email tomorrow to see if they know anything. There's nothing more I can do.

Sorry I can't be any more help. If I find anything out i'll let you know
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Droopy_Bollocks

Hi Cat,

yeah I saw the ISP issues, I'll run some traceroutes from different providers to the CEONSS server and see what's going on, I know Virgin use a couple of dodgy routes on occasion but I've got access to a couple of BT lines too so I'll try them and see if I can find anything.

I knew it wasn't the fault of the server itself but on occasion I think some players need to do a little self-education when it comes to high ping and there are still players regularly connecting with high Ping & PL and doing nothing about it which gets frustrating for the rest of us.

DB

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Post by Xac »

Droopy, I've often had to put up with lag etc and just lived with it because I thought nothing could be done. Last weekend was not too bad, but other times, people disappear, then reappear and aiming is hopeless, especially when there are 30 players on the server at the same time. It also doesn't help that I live in an area with poor internet connectivity. :(

If you can explain how I can trace where the problems lie, I'd be interested in looking into it, but it's something I've got no experience with.
Play it safe, do what Droopy says..."Always double tap!"
Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England »

DB did start a thread here Xac. It's not a detailed walkthrough, but may be of interest until he has seen your post.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Droopy_Bollocks

Xac wrote:Droopy, I've often had to put up with lag etc and just lived with it because I thought nothing could be done. Last weekend was not too bad, but other times, people disappear, then reappear and aiming is hopeless, especially when there are 30 players on the server at the same time. It also doesn't help that I live in an area with poor internet connectivity. :(

If you can explain how I can trace where the problems lie, I'd be interested in looking into it, but it's something I've got no experience with.

Hey Xac,

Yep, yet again tonight both myself and Gaffer were having significant lag issues, ranging from tiny blips to full on people completely disappearing and reappearing a long way away! (didn't help that Rakka was upto his old tricks too lol)

You can run a traceroute in many ways, a command line is the easiest but it doesn't give much information (full DNS lookup, location, latency etc) so there are a few free tools available

The current one I use is OpenVisualTraceroute which is full open source and free, I've uploaded a copy to my spare dropxbox if you'd like to try it, there are two files to download.

Link to my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s62cwz7yh5jk ... v4wma?dl=0

1. WinPcap - this is a small driver program, just run it once and it will install.
2. the OpenvisualTraceRoute Zip file, download it and then unzip it to a folder somewhere (doesn't matter where) and then double click the "startwindows" command file that you'll find in that folder.

you can then input the CEONSS IP (176.57.143.200) and ask it to trace it, it will then calculate each hop and give you speed figures and whether there are any massive speed problems at certain hops between you and the CEONSS server.

See the screenshot I've attached to see a typical output, I'd run it at least 3 or 4 times to get a typical answer.
Screen1.jpg
Any problems Xac , feel free to DM me and I'll be happy to help :D

DB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Post by Xac »

Thanks Droopy, when I get the chance I'll look into it.

It seems very variable. Last night I joined for a couple of games, on Double Slap everything was fine, but then the next map, Foundry, it was lagging badly. I think I must have "lag killed" Gaffer about 5 times in a row at one point.

I hope it's not my ISP as I'm in the only part of the country where there is just one provider, so no competition and they think they can do what they like, charging a lot for a crappy service. :evil:
Play it safe, do what Droopy says..."Always double tap!"
Droopy_Bollocks

Xac wrote:Thanks Droopy, when I get the chance I'll look into it.

It seems very variable. Last night I joined for a couple of games, on Double Slap everything was fine, but then the next map, Foundry, it was lagging badly. I think I must have "lag killed" Gaffer about 5 times in a row at one point.

I hope it's not my ISP as I'm in the only part of the country where there is just one provider, so no competition and they think they can do what they like, charging a lot for a crappy service. :evil:

Hi Xac,

Yeah crappy ISP's is a problem all over I'm afraid.

One thing to bear in mind is that in-game lag can be caused by many things, if you'd like to share some more detailed information (Machine spec, ISP, location) by DM (to keep it confidential) I can look at the problem in a little more detail.

I'll send you my current IP address by DM (i'm on a local loop so it keep rotating through a set of address for this town and surrounding areas on a monthly basis) so that you can also run a trace directly to me and we can then have a second set of data to analyse.

The main reason for lag apart from ISP is the actual link from PC to router/modem, this needs to be looked as well as anti-virus, any applications that have internet access and firewalls.

DB