Mouse settings

UT2004 related discussions
Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Mouse settings

Post by Maniac »

Hello there!

I've got a question for knowing people.
1) Is it possible to change mouse acceleration value in UT2004? There is only "Acceleration threshhold" option, which changes how much can you move mouse without acceleration kicking in. I'd like to see (and change) the acceleration value. I am not saying it's a good thing and you should do it too, but I used to it and I'd like to have it. Maybe there are some modifications for this?
2) With "Weapons visible" checked, the shot is fired a bit lower and a bit to the right from the crosshair center (it fires from weapon model and crosshair is aligned to player head model). Is it possible to fix it?
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK-

Re: Mouse settings

Post by -FuNkY-MoNk-UK- »

1) You can increase acceleration in windows. Most new mouses come with software where you can change the acceleration value, or polling rate. Much easier to tweak that way than digging in files changing shiz.

2) All shots fire true, just having a weapon in the left hand or right gives the illusion a shot is off center from your own field of view. Having weapons set to hidden, or middle, can make you shots look more straight and on point.
Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Thanks for the answer, it just confirms my guesses. Seems like it's not possible to fine-tune mouse inside UT2004... :(
I've looked into RawInput source and now I only have more questions, beacause it seems that acceleration is negative (only applied if mouse movement < threshold & modifier is always <1). Some OS-level software may help, but I'm not quite sure if it's worth the trouble. After all, I'm not a pro-gamer to bother about these 5% of accuracy :)

About weapon position: in source code, convergence point is 10k unreal units. If position differs from "hidden", you get a little shift of your aim (proportional to distance to target). Try to fire at wall from point-blank distance with shock rifle both with "hidden" and "right-hand", and you'll notice that hit mark position differs.

P.S.: I know that there are as many points against acceleration as points against it; I'm not trying to say that one way is better than other. But I want to have ability to control my game from A to Z. There are many games (including old ones) where you can set different sensitivity, acceleration, deadzones, even FOV - for both mouse axes separately. And in UT I just can't comprehend, why so easy option was not added to settings...
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK-

Post by -FuNkY-MoNk-UK- »

You can tune your mouse in UT2004, just have to find the values and change them. I just find it better to tweak with mouse software. You mentioned that you would like your mouse to behave like your settings in Q3, this is nearly impossible as the code is different for the two games. You can achieve the same 360 turn, which i guess would feel similar, but would not 'feel' the same.

The only settings i can find in UT are:

User.ini:
[Engine.Input]
MouseX=Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0
MouseY=Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0
[Engine.PlayerInput]
bInvertMouse=False
MouseSmoothingMode=1
MouseSmoothingStrength=0.000000
MouseSensitivity=2.000000
MouseSamplingTime=0.008333
MouseAccelThreshold=0.000000

As i said in-game, i don't know what your goal is for tweaking, if its just increasing acceleration then there's other ways outside UT to tweak.

You're right, It's not worth the trouble. If you don't record every tweak you can end up messing up and being left worse off. I think a player who is used to his/hers mouse settings will feel more comfortable and therefor have better aim.
Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Post by Xac »

I've been wondering about this for a while, what are the best sensitivity/acceleration etc settings for UT?

I never seem to be able to aim properly in UT and despite trying many different mice and settings, nothing seems to work.

When the sensitivity is high, it's good for quick movements, but makes aiming very difficult. Turning down the sensitivity helps with aim, but then when you need to turn quickly, you can't. I've tried a mouse with variable DPI, but never seem to find settings which work well for me. I've also read it's a good idea to disable mouse acceleration in Windows by installing third party software, to ensure mouse response is linear, but I've not tried that yet.

The other thing may be my mouse mat. I'm using a Steelseries large fabric mouse mat. I'm wondering if going to a hard surface may be better?

I'm sure the old mice with a ball worked better (when the ball and rollers were clean), but maybe it's just my nostalgic thinking... :D
Play it safe, do what Droopy says..."Always double tap!"
Maniac

Post by Maniac »

I've done some research on this topic some years earlier...
About accel VS no-accel (raw facts):
- with accel ON you can have good precision and fast movement at same time;
- with accel OFF you can train your hand to gain same pointer movement for same hand movement;

Though, here are my points:
- accel or no, if you rely on your muscular memory, same movement (not only distance, but speed too) will give you same movement;
- players do not move in linear way, and you may need to follow "ragged" movement, like left-left-right-strafe left
- IRL, you do not move your hands in linear way (there is a biological background to it), so why do it in game?

If you are into tuning, there are custom mouse drivers with acceleration (you can google them), but they are applied to the whole OS, which is not always wanted.